Help my brooder heater is too big

My producers pride brooder heater is too large to place in the plastic box I planned on using. Only getting no more them 10 chicks . What should I do , should I hang it above the brooder.
Brooder plates/heaters don’t usually help much unless it’s possible for the chicks to get right beside or underneath the plates. I understand producers pride*may* have a heater setting, but that still won’t be the most reliable if you’re hanging the plate far above the brooder. I don’t know if the ones they sell alone even have that; I know the ones that come with a brooder do though.
Is is possible for you to acquire a larger box or smaller plate? Or, are you able to position the plate sideways in the box so that your chicks may lean against the side?

My producers pride brooder heater is too large to place in the plastic box I planned on using. Only getting no more them 10 chicks . What should I do , should I hang it above the brooder.
I would get a large enough box that it will fit in and brood in that or get something larger of your choice if you don't like the box idea. Many just use large boxes and through them out when done. Like @I Like Turkeys stated brooder plates work on chicks huddling under and touching surface of plate just as they would a mother hen.

Brooder plates/heaters don’t usually help much unless it’s possible for the chicks to get right beside or underneath the plates. I understand producers pride*may* have a heater setting, but that still won’t be the most reliable if you’re hanging the plate far above the brooder. I don’t know if the ones they sell alone even have that; I know the ones that come with a brooder do though.
Is is possible for you to acquire a larger box or smaller plate? Or, are you able to position the plate sideways in the box so that your chicks may lean against the side?
You will need a bigger box and more chicks! I am still learning about chicken math, LOL

It can go in stading up leaving no room for them to get away from heat if needed. Tested it last night 100 degrees on heater setting and 90 on brooder setting, that was on its 4 legs at highest. No other heat plates available near me ,getting chicks tomorrow. Any ideas on another brooder box, thanks so much

90 degrees is recommended for chicks. Whenever I need to bring chicks inside I use large totes to brood them. If you have a local place that sells them, i’d pick out the biggest. It’s important to have enough space for the brooder on one side and then food and water on the other, with enough room still for the chicks to move around.
If you can’t, you may want to test out the sideways heater temporarily. If they spend the whole day on the opposite end from the brooder, it is too hot.

Ive never brooded chicks in a bathtub before. I would imagine you need a mat down to keep the floor from being too slippery for them, and yes there would still be lots of poop. You also wouldn’t be able to shower or bathe in that tub.

90 degrees is recommended for chicks. Whenever I need to bring chicks inside I use large totes to brood them. If you have a local place that sells them, i’d pick out the biggest. It’s important to have enough space for the brooder on one side and then food and water on the other, with enough room still for the chicks to move around.

If you can’t, you may want to test out the sideways heater temporarily. If they spend the whole day on the opposite end from the brooder, it is too hot.

Ive never brooded chicks in a bathtub before. I would imagine you need a mat down to keep the floor from being too slippery for them, and yes there would still be lots of poop. You also wouldn’t be able to shower or bathe in that tub.

Yes too hard to clean out , ita also brand new never used , don't want to ruin it over the chickens. I've come to see nothing is going as planned with chicks I'm planning for lol. I have a large dog crate I will try that, thanks so mucj

Back
Top Bottom