Help! My Broody Silkie was off her eggs about 2.5 hours.

ChicknCharm

Songster
10 Years
Aug 25, 2009
Alpine
Oh no! I am soooo crushed!!!! We did not notice this morning that our broody silkie could not get back in her broody box. She was off her eggs from about 10:15 or so to 12:35-ish. Will the chicks be dead??? They are on day 17. It is sunny here, warmish in the coop, a bit chilly with wind outside. The eggs are in a perfect nest in a pet carrier turned to broody box inside the enclosed coop (which had its door open). Oh gosh, I am so worried. My girls are distraught...my reaction did not help. Let me know if anyone has insight or experience...comfort? happy endings? THANKS SO MUCH!

idunno.gif
It's not going to help the hatch rate, but go ahead and put her back on there. I've seen threads where it's happend for longer and some of the chicks still hatched. Good luck!
fl.gif

The poor broody mama is back on the eggs, has not left them since she regained access to them at lunch time. I did not think to touch the eggs to see if they were cold. If the mama hen is sitting on them, do you think they are OK? If I try to candle them tonight is there anything I can look for to tell if the chicks are OK?

Here is a question: Can you hear a chicken heartbeat in the egg?

THANKS!

I had a hen stay off longer than that and they all hatched just fine. Could you put up a barrier, like a screen to keep her in for these last few days? Have you candled them before this? I always candle twice, day 10 and day 16. If you don't have developing eggs (empty) they might explode and it's a huge stinky mess.

I've never heard a heartbeat in an egg. When you do candle, if you don't see movement it doesn't mean they're dead. In fact, I NEVER see movement when I candle and they all hatch fine.

I can almost always see movement in eggs around the same time (17) unless the eggshells are dark. No, you can't hear a heartbeat. I've actually had a hen get off an egg after the others hatched earlier. The egg was COLD! I took it to work with me, and kept it warm on a mug warmer. After about an hour, the little bugger started hollering b/c it was too hot! It started hatching here at school, and by the evening, I had a chicken! I was almost sure that egg had died, but it didn't! Good luck!

Hi All!
Well, it is exactly 21 days from when we set those eggs shipped from so far away. Then poor mama was off the nest for 2.5 hours (about), and today we have (so far) four fluffy yellow and black australorp chicks and one more was pipping last time I was peeking. So, there are two I am not sure of. We moved Mama in the house last night as I heard a peep through one of the eggs and just about lept out of my skin. So, we have success after all! This family is happy and amazed at how hatching chicks gives a grand feeling of relief..."oh, I guess the universe does know what it is doing after all." This is our first hatch....21 days on the dot! Thank you everybody!

Last edited:
I CANNOT believe the chicks, they already come out from under mama and peep! and look at us....they are SOOOO active and curious. About taking pictures, we have one egg still under mama with a big hole, no one has come forth yet. And two others, one may have a crack in it...the inside pip? Can I lift off Mom for several seconds to look and take pictures? Can I look at those remaining eggs to see if they are doing anything? I am worried about letting out precious humidity. If that is OK, then I can take pics. My mom got some of the chicks peeking out from under snow white silkie mom...they are all dark and spotty! I have already tilted mama up a few times to show the girls.

I wouldn't look at the eggs just yet. Tomorrow morning you may have more chicks. Just take some pics after all the chicks hatch.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom