Apr 4, 2020
One of my chicks hatched in the incubator last night. She was in a funny position the next morning (one her side legs spread and her neck bent) and her umbilical chord was still attached with the egg shell stuck to her. We cut the very end of the umbilical chord away because it was very dry.
She is now lying on her side with one leg shaking in the air and her neck bent at an angle. Will she eventually straighten out and stand or can I do something to help?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    375.1 KB · Views: 173
Put her in a little sock and put her in a small cup that she can't get out of. Tuck her legs under her and make her sit upright. She should find her feet soon. It may just take a little longer for her to get up since she had a complicated hatch.

Looks good. Leave her in for at least 3-4 hours, then get her out and see if she is acting better. Post back then and we'll go from there. :)
Thanks! She seems a lot happier now. She’s even sleeping. I will post back in a few hours and let you know how she’s getting on.

Sounds great! I think she's going to be ok. Hopefully when she wakes up she'll be feeling better.
Ok so I checked the chick and she has one foot that clutched up and won’t stay down and then her neck is bent. What can I do to help her? She can’t stand on her own

Attachments

• 3E16D404-6C29-4E23-B7D1-2D4DFD325EB2.jpeg
    3E16D404-6C29-4E23-B7D1-2D4DFD325EB2.jpeg
    213.6 KB · Views: 92
I had a chick do that for several days.. I would just hold her in a sitting position a few times a day and eventually, 4days later, she finally found her footing and finally started to walk... While she kicked around on her side, I would sprinkle feed on the floor

Back
Top Bottom