HELP my chick is not herself and she is standing in the corner

LhickenChicken

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jan 5, 2023
My 1 week old chick is smaller than the rest even though she hatched at about the same time. This morning she was lively as ever, but now she is lethargic and standing in the corner doing nothing and closing her eyes. She is also attracted to heat.

This is my favorite chick please help save her

Have you tried feeding them mash? Maybe a few drops of Nutri-Drench, being very careful that she drinks it and it doesn't go into her lungs.

What are you feeding them? Have you seen her eat, drink? Is she pooping / what does it look like? Has she eaten shavings?

Have you tried feeding them mash? Maybe a few drops of Nutri-Drench, being very careful that she drinks it and it doesn't go into her lungs.

What are you feeding them? Have you seen her eat, drink? Is she pooping / what does it look like? Has she eaten shavings?
2X, and maybe also try some scrambled eggs.

What is the temp of the brooder?

Sometimes chicks just have some failure to thrive, and this may be the case with your chick. Try the things we have mentioned tho, and see if that helps

no I have not tried mash. I don't know what Nutri-Drench is. I am feeding them regular chick crumble. I have seen her drink and eat. I am not sure if she ate shavings. She could have, though.

2X, and maybe also try some scrambled eggs.

What is the temp of the brooder?

Sometimes chicks just have some failure to thrive, and this may be the case with your chick. Try the things we have mentioned tho, and see if that helps
I tried scrambled eggs, she was under the brooder. The temp is about 30 degrees Celsius.

no I have not tried mash. I don't know what Nutri-Drench is. I am feeding them regular chick crumble. I have seen her drink and eat. I am not sure if she ate shavings. She could have, though.
Nutri-Drench is just the brand of a liquid vitamin solution, like Rooster Booster. I can't remember the exact mixture but I'm sure you can find one on BYC, it uses a little molasses thinned with water with maybe a smidgen of another thing or two.

My thought is, if she seems plugged up, do either olive oil (just wet the side of her beak so it triggers her to swallow) or little chunks of cold coconut oil, pry her beak open and pop a couple crumbles of coconut oil in. See if this gets her little system moving then wet a little chick feed to make a mash and have her eat this for a few days.

If she seems weak, but not plugged up, I'd try some vitamins.

Or, there is still the chance she is a failure to thrive chick. I hope she pulls through though!

Nutri-Drench is just the brand of a liquid vitamin solution, like Rooster Booster. I can't remember the exact mixture but I'm sure you can find one on BYC, it uses a little molasses thinned with water with maybe a smidgen of another thing or two.

My thought is, if she seems plugged up, do either olive oil (just wet the side of her beak so it triggers her to swallow) or little chunks of cold coconut oil, pry her beak open and pop a couple crumbles of coconut oil in. See if this gets her little system moving then wet a little chick feed to make a mash and have her eat this for a few days.

If she seems weak, but not plugged up, I'd try some vitamins.

Or, there is still the chance she is a failure to thrive chick. I hope she pulls through though!
is Nutri-Drench sort of like electrolytes? if so I can make a mix. I am not sure how I will get her beak to open, she is SO tiny! Tinier than the rest of them. By a margin.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! She came out from under the brooder and seemed a little more lively today. I will try the mash, thank you! :) :) :) :D

I put her in a box near the wood stove with a partner. She has electrolyte water and mash and dry crumble if she pleases. I force-watered her by putting water on the tip of her beak. Then I tried olive oil. She has had a few pecks of crumble and drank a few sips of water from the bowl. :) :(

I put her in a box near the wood stove with a partner. She has electrolyte water and mash and dry crumble if she pleases. I force-watered her by putting water on the tip of her beak. Then I tried olive oil. She has had a few pecks of crumble and drank a few sips of water from the bowl. :) :(
Ok, so that is good she's not worse! I'm attaching a photo of the ingredients in Nutri-Drench I found online. It's very hard to carefully get water or oil into their itty bitty beaks, but a few drops is better than none. I have purchased oral irrigation syringes before, they have a very small curved tip, they are helpful for getting tiny droplets of oil or water right into the seam of their beaks and give you good control of the droplet size. I know this doesn't help for today, but they are really handy to have a stash of waiting for times like this.

Keep trying to get a little of the electrolyte water and a drop of oil into her as you can. She's small so no need to over do it, but keep an eye on her and see if she's eating a drinking reasonably on her own and pooping.

Oh, you can also try a little egg yolk too.

Ok, so that is good she's not worse! I'm attaching a photo of the ingredients in Nutri-Drench I found online. It's very hard to carefully get water or oil into their itty bitty beaks, but a few drops is better than none. I have purchased oral irrigation syringes before, they have a very small curved tip, they are helpful for getting tiny droplets of oil or water right into the seam of their beaks and give you good control of the droplet size. I know this doesn't help for today, but they are really handy to have a stash of waiting for times like this.

Keep trying to get a little of the electrolyte water and a drop of oil into her as you can. She's small so no need to over do it, but keep an eye on her and see if she's eating a drinking reasonably on her own and pooping.

Oh, you can also try a little egg yolk too.
:( She passed while I was in town :(

Back
Top Bottom