Help my chick is sick im worried someone help!!!!

How can i help this chick feel better

• Give him electrolytes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Isolate him

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Animal-lover339

Songster
5 Years
Oct 10, 2018
Puerto rico
I bought four egg laying chicks yesterday they were fine and dandy eating and drinking but now one is sick he won't eat much or drink he's very frail he usually closes his eyes even while standing he walks slowly not running to eat like the rest and he can't poop too well I checked his vent and he doesn't have pasty butt can anyone give me advice or help?

Odd that they were fine yesterday and frail today - seems like a very fast decline. Definitely start with electrolytes, but isolating her will ensure you can monitor eating, drinking and pooing. Mine don't like to be separated for long, so I set a pen up near the coop - good luck!!

Odd that they were fine yesterday and frail today - seems like a very fast decline. Definitely start with electrolytes, but isolating her will ensure you can monitor eating, drinking and pooing. Mine don't like to be separated for long, so I set a pen up near the coop - good luck!!
Thank you very much for the help he or she was fine but she's now frail do you know we're I can buy electrolytes?or use an alternative I read water with some sugar can you tell me if that can work I do my best but I just wanna help her I hate to see dying animals that's why I save them

Try this: https://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2017/02/homemade-electrolyte-recipe-chicks.html

I usually buy some powdered formula and keep it in my first aid kit, but for now, in a pinch you can make your own quickly....is her comb pale or anything else odd - can you post a pic?
I'll try to post a picture maybe later in the day I am not home right now so I'm just hoping when I get back to help her and thank you for the link it certainly helped me I'm just trying my best to get my baby healthy

I bought four egg laying chicks yesterday they were fine and dandy eating and drinking but now one is sick he won't eat much or drink he's very frail he usually closes his eyes even while standing he walks slowly not running to eat like the rest and he can't poop too well I checked his vent and he doesn't have pasty butt can anyone give me advice or help?

Photos are very helpful - the chicks, their poop, your brooder set-up (if you are using a red heat lamp,turn that off for photos please)

How old are the chicks?
What are you feeding them?
Where did you get the chicks?

The more information you can provide, the better.

In general if the chicks were shipped, it could be shipping stress. Do what you can to hydrate the chick and keep her warm.

Depending on age, she may be suffering from Coccidiosis, treatment is with Corid which can be found at stores like Tractor Supply in the cattle section.

Lastly, some chicks are weak and fail to thrive.

Hopefully with your photos and response to the above questions, we can help you more.

Back
Top Bottom