HELP! My chicken ate...

Hi there! :frow As everyone has said: If she is acting and pooping normal; I am sure that she is fine :D My chickens have eaten numerous things that a chicken shouldn't eat :lol:

Everyone has that one sassy chicken that'll do anything just to get under your skin! :lau
Best wishes, and best of luck!
Nugget is soooo SASSY!! She is the diva of the flock. My gals are so sweet and even like lap cuddles! I couldn't handle it if something would happen to her! I had NO IDEA a chicken could move so fast!! She had me fooled, I think she planned it!! LMBO

Haha, I know how you feel! Well, I am not completely certain of this one: But once, there were lots of Bologna strings in our gully (we had thrown some old bologna out and didn't even think to take the strings off with dogs, cats, and chickens! :lau)

Well, the hens began foraging near them and when we check all of the bologna- strings and all-were gone. So don't feel too terrible on that one.

One winter, (it had snowed and the girls had been cooped up for days on end) and I had put a Styrofoam bowl to hold some treats in; and the girls had eaten quite a bit of that :lau But they all lived.

And they have all had a mouthful of pine shavings at one point, so don't feel so bad ;)

The mystery of the red bologna strip - likely was so unrecognizable when it appeared 24 hours later in her poop, you wouldn't have noticed it.

Years ago, I was as distraught as you when a hen ate the bandaid off the back of my leg. I was searching for it the next day in the poop when I finally discovered it. I almost missed it, it was so shriveled up. The crop and gizzard action had consumed the pad, so all that was left was the badly mangled plastic strip.

My chickens have eaten styrofoam and silicon seal off walls with no ill effects. The things that cause life or death problems are sharp objects like screws, nails, and bits of wire. A fish hook would likely be lethal. A flexible material such as a string or a horse or human hair can cause almost as much damage when they get wrapped around a tongue.

A bologna plastic ring is way down low on the list of dangerous objects chickens are susceptible to swallowing. We just need to police the vicinity as well as we can to find such objects before our chickens do.

Haha, I know how you feel! Well, I am not completely certain of this one: But once, there were lots of Bologna strings in our gully (we had thrown some old bologna out and didn't even think to take the strings off with dogs, cats, and chickens! :lau)

Well, the hens began foraging near them and when we check all of the bologna- strings and all-were gone. So don't feel too terrible on that one.

One winter, (it had snowed and the girls had been cooped up for days on end) and I had put a Styrofoam bowl to hold some treats in; and the girls had eaten quite a bit of that :lau But they all lived.

And they have all had a mouthful of pine shavings at one point, so don't feel so bad ;)
The trials and tribulations of being a chicken parent!! LMBO:lau

The mystery of the red bologna strip - likely was so unrecognizable when it appeared 24 hours later in her poop, you wouldn't have noticed it.

Years ago, I was as distraught as you when a hen ate the bandaid off the back of my leg. I was searching for it the next day in the poop when I finally discovered it. I almost missed it, it was so shriveled up. The crop and gizzard action had consumed the pad, so all that was left was the badly mangled plastic strip.

My chickens have eaten styrofoam and silicon seal off walls with no ill effects. The things that cause life or death problems are sharp objects like screws, nails, and bits of wire. A fish hook would likely be lethal. A flexible material such as a string or a horse or human hair can cause almost as much damage when they get wrapped around a tongue.

A bologna plastic ring is way down low on the list of dangerous objects chickens are susceptible to swallowing. We just need to police the vicinity as well as we can to find such objects before our chickens do.
THANK YOU!!! These gals are CRAZY!! She totally did a "drive-by", one swoop and I swear she was waddling away at 90mph!!! That fluffy butt was GONE! Daytona 500 style!

I love bologna!:drool Does she have some cracked oyster shell to help digest? ....I guess it doesn't help. That's why I never comment. Never right. :he One day I'll learn.

@enoryz We are all here to learn, support and help one another. Don't be discouraged or stop commenting if you don't always get it right:hugs(we want you to participate!) None of us have all the answers. It's very common for people to think of oyster shell as being a form of grit. In certain countries, it's actually sold as "shell grit" which can further confuse a consumer and chicken keeper. Just remember - oyster shell is a soluble source of calcium (supplement to the diet) and poultry grit (crushed granite) is an insoluble source of grit that is used in the gizzard to process (grind up) foods.

@PedsNurseSC I'm glad your hen is doing fine. I agree with the others, that bologna ring is long gone:)

@enoryz We are all here to learn, support and help one another. Don't be discouraged or stop commenting if you don't always get it right:hugs(we want you to participate!) None of us have all the answers. It's very common for people to think of oyster shell as being a form of grit. In certain countries, it's actually sold as "shell grit" which can further confuse a consumer and chicken keeper. Just remember - oyster shell is a soluble source of calcium (supplement to the diet) and poultry grit (crushed granite) is an insoluble source of grit that is used in the gizzard to process (grind up) foods.

@PedsNurseSC I'm glad your hen is doing fine. I agree with the others, that bologna ring is long gone:)
Thank you SO MUCH!! Y'all are the BEST!! I love knowing there's other chicken parents out there just a post away!!

All the more reason why flock owners should supply their birds with insoluble grit. (if they don't have plenty of natural grit in your soil). I have very bony soil, but do supply grit during the winter. The flock attack the bowl of grit when i put it out for them when the ground is frozen. Keep those gizzards well primed with grit, so your chooks can grind all of the foolish items they decide to eat. My birds love bits of plastic. I wrap the winter run in plastic, so, it's inevitable that they will find some pieces to fight over.

Back
Top Bottom