HELP!! My chicken has prolapsed!!

Oct 13, 2023
This morning when I let my chickens out of their coop I noticed that one of them had a dirty bottom I tried to catch her but she was to quick and I didn't want are boys to get defensive of her and attack me so I finished doing the animals and went to get my mum to help me I didn't think much of it so we did some other things first and long story short it was 1-2 ish before I managed to catch her we saw that she had a prolapse and her feathers were stuck to it we washed it and put sugar on it and it went back in but when she poops it comes out we were putting it back in but then mum read online that you should put antiseptic spray on it notpupt it back in so when it came back out I sprayed it with leucilln (an antiseptic spray)
We have her separate from every one
If it is not drastically better tomorrow then we will call are vets maybe they will be able to give her something
Oh and she just started laying so I assume it is todo with that I think it is the egg laying part that is out not the poop bit
Thank you for your help I will put pictures too the pictures are a bit disgusting

Last edited:
My beautiful golden brahma hen, honey, with her treats and below that the thing that is coming out her bottom
20240303_143708.jpg
20240303_143628.jpg 20240303_143632.jpg 20240303_143643.jpg

Don’t let the red tissue dry out. Honey, sugar plus a few drops of water made into a paste, vaseline, cooking oil, coconut oil, hydrocortisone creams are all good for keeping it from drying out. It can take days to a week for some prolapses to go back inside. A calcium citrate tablet or Tums may help it go in. Is she able to poop?

Don’t let the red tissue dry out. Honey, sugar plus a few drops of water made into a paste, vaseline, cooking oil, coconut oil, hydrocortisone creams are all good for keeping it from drying out. It can take days to a week for some prolapses to go back inside. A calcium citrate tablet or Tums may help it go in. Is she able to poop?
okay thanks
we put a cream on it (i think it was one for humans but safe for her)
and yes she can poop fine the run we put her in had loads of poop in it

Just thought I would update you on how Honey is doing
The prolapse has gone back in :celebrate It is all still very swollen so we put some more cream on but much better fingers crossed :fl It stays in
I guess the real test will be when she lays another egg which could be days still she is not laying consistently like one of her sisters is but hopefully that will give it more time to heal and when she does lay an egg it won't come out
My mum was wondering whether it will happen again not just to her but her sister too, maybe it is a genetic thing could it be inbreeding we don't know if the chickens we got the eggs from were all related or if because it has happened to her once now will it be more likely to prolapse again???????
Thanks for all your help :hugs

There are a number of possible causes for prolapses. This article has a section of common causes to read below:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/
Have you given her a calcium tablet? That would be good in cause she has an egg coming along. Are her eggs normally larger than normal?
Thank you
Her eggs a more still tiny
And we have not given her a calcium tablet but when we get home (we are out at the moment) I will give her some calcium

Back
Top Bottom