HELP! My chicken is jerking it's neck

chickennewbie6

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 31, 2013
This happened today. My 6 chickens were in the run and I was bringing them some corn. All of the chickens came over excitedly except for my red cross who seemed lethargic but still standing. She was making strange neck jerks forwards and to both sides and seemed to also be elongating her neck. She has some small bald spots at where the neck meets the breast. So, initially I thought she was injured. She is about over 2 years old by the way.
I brought all the chickens inside the coop and put some gloves on and calmly went into the run to see if she had any wounds. She is walking like normal but she stands still unless shes moving away from me. I checked her out but it was difficult for her to maintain still. I didn't find any wounds and there is no evidence of blood or loose clumps of feathers. I might have missed a wound or something? I think she lost those feathers due to molting because she has been molting a lot these past months but the feathers she lost on her back grew back.
I let her go outside alone and brought her out into the sun. She is now laying in the shade with her eyes mostly closed and still occasionally making her neck movements. Also, while I was checking her for wounds: on the front of the middle of her neck or a little lower, there seemed to be a lump that is a bit yellowish. I don't know if it is normal. Also, as I said she wasn't staying still so it was hard to see.

Symptoms: Neck jerking/elongating
Mostly closed eyes
Lethargic
There may be a lump on her neck that is a little yellowish?
She also seems uncomfortable

Please help, I don't know what to do. Should I isolate her? It would be hard for me to isolate her since I don't really have a separate spot to put her. Does she have an illness? If so, is it contagious to other chickens or humans? Bringing her to a vet would be very difficult and very pricey for us since we live in the middle of nowhere. She stood up now but is just standing there. I've just been sitting 3 feet away from her to give her company. Please help asap.

***NEW SYMPTOM- I have her a piece of corn by putting it on the floor. When she tilted her head down, saliva came out of her mouth or something. She did it again and some liquid came out of her mouth that was very watery and seems to have a greenish tinge. I think its throw up maybe? She stopped touching the corn but now shes eating some. Maybe she has a stomach issue?

*UPDATE- It's the day after and her poop is watery(no solids) and is white-ish

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom