Help my chicken is poorly

I am just trying to do the best for my hen, she doesn’t seem in any pain and therefore I don’t think she is suffering and I’m trying my best to help her and get her better if at all possible

I am just trying to do the best for my hen, she doesn’t seem in any pain and therefore I don’t think she is suffering and I’m trying my best to help her and get her better if at all possible
I am sure you care about her a lot, glad to hear she's in isolation.

It's so hard to tell with chickens sometimes about whether they are in pain or not or how they are feeling. They usually hide pain and suffering very well instinctually as a predator deterrent, and also so they don't get picked on by the other hens. Often by the time a chicken starts to show signs of pain, whatever it is is pretty serious.

Some signs of pain or distress to watch out for in chickens as you monitor her: sluggishness/lethargy(which you are already seeing, it sounds like), loss of appetite, fluffed feathers, keeping head and neck tucked in close to the body, half-lidded or frequently closed eyelids, and drooping wings.

Very glad to hear you are trying to get in touch with a vet, hopefully they will have seen something like this before and be able to advise you on what to do. Please keep us posted, I am very curious to learn about this mysterious growth/abscess on your hen.

Last edited:
I would suspect that she has some type of cancer which is common in Mareks disease and lymphoid leukosis viruses, but it could also be some sort of infection. How old is she? Was she ever vaccinated for Mareks? Have other chickens pecked her feathers?
Also, these are all very good questions that can help us and/or a vet diagnose what's wrong.

If you don't know whether she was vaccinated, where did you get her from? If it was from a hatchery, the answer is most likely yes. If you got her from a backyard breeder though, I'd assume no unless you were told otherwise.

Also, these are all very good questions that can help us and/or a vet diagnose what's wrong.

If you don't know whether she was vaccinated, where did you get her from? If it was from a hatchery, the answer is most likely yes. If you got her from a backyard breeder though, I'd assume no unless you were told otherwise.
Major hatcheries do not automatically vaccinate birds. You must request it and pay for it.
Also the Marek's vaccine does not prevent the disease.

I am sure you care about her a lot, glad to hear she's in isolation.

It's so hard to tell with chickens sometimes about whether they are in pain or not or how they are feeling. They usually hide pain and suffering very well instinctually as a predator deterrent, and also so they don't get picked on by the other hens. Often by the time a chicken starts to show signs of pain, whatever it is is pretty serious.

Some signs of pain and discomfort to watch out for in chickens as you monitor her: sluggishness/lethargy(which you are already seeing, it sounds like), loss of appetite, fluffed feathers, keeping head and neck tucked in close to the body, half-lidded or frequently closed eyelids, and drooping wings.

Very glad to hear you are trying to get in touch with a vet, hopefully they will have seen something like this before and be able to advise you on what to do. Please keep us posted, I am very curious to learn about this mysterious growth/abscess on your hen.
:goodpost:

Major hatcheries do not automatically vaccinate birds. You must request it and pay for it.
Also the Marek's vaccine does not prevent the disease.
Oh really? That's very interesting, I had heard that most major hatcheries did it automatically along with vaccinating for cocci. Good to know.

I do know that the vaccine doesn't prevent the disease, but it does help mitigate symptoms in many cases. We learned the hard way that the flock I volunteer with has Mareks when we tried to introduce some pullets. All of the pullets were vaccinated, but sadly many of them died from it anyway after being exposed to our older hens who are apparently immune. :( It was heartbreaking watching the ones that were dying from it slowly lose their ability to walk.

Last edited:
Oh really? That's very interesting, I had heard that most major hatcheries did it automatically along with vaccinating for cocci. Good to know.

I do know that the vaccine doesn't prevent the disease, but it does help mitigate symptoms in many cases. The flock I volunteer with sadly has Mareks and is immune, but we learned this the hard way when we tried to introduce some pullets. All of the pullets were vaccinated, but sadly many of them died from it anyway after being exposed to our older hens. :( It was heartbreaking.
Do all hatcheries vaccinate for cocci

She is around a year old, as far as I’m aware she wasn’t vaccinated as we got her and a few others off someone who could no longer look after them, the other hens left her alone and never pecked her feathers

I will let you know how I get on once I’ve spoke to the avian vet tomorrow

Sorry it’s taken a while to reply back but I am sad to report that she passed away while being seen by the vet

He wasn’t sure what it was as had never seen anything like it, all he could tell me was that is was some kind of bacteria that was causing her flesh to rot

I have checked all my other hens and they don’t seem to be showing any signs but will keep my eye on them

she is now at peace

Back
Top Bottom