Help my chicken is swollen! She is about 3-4 years old

Junejones

Songster
Sep 20, 2021
Here she is... she doesn't seem to be in pain she was walking and eating and she ran from us... idk what to do or what is it is because from
1000000447.jpg
1000000446.jpg
1000000445.jpg

Does it feel like her lower abdomen is like a water balloon? That is called water belly or ascites, and it indicates a more serious issue, like cancer or a reproductive disorder. There isn't a whole lot you can do, some people will carefully drain it, but that won't solve the underlying issues, unfortunately.

I had a hen live with it for a number of months. I just tried to enjoy being with her as much as I could since I knew she would pass sooner than the others. I'm so sorry.

That's what it sounds like 😪😪😪 how could I drain it so she can make it a little longer

You basically just sanitize the skin and a needle with alcohol, or something similar, and then make a pin-prick and some of the fluid will drain out slowly. Personally I would just keep her in a kennel while doing it, but some folks just let them run with the flock. You probably want to put some antibiotic ointment on after it has stopped draining.

You only need to do this if she seems uncomfortable from the pressure, or if the abdomen starts to feel hard, basically to make her more comfortable. It won't prolong her life, sadly, but can help her to enjoy it more.

I still miss my girl. So sorry that you are going through this.

Back
Top Bottom