Help! My chicken laid an egg 3 days in a row then STOPPED......

cath0617

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 24, 2014
Hello, I have 6 chickens which I believe are all hens. They are 21 weeks this weekend.
This week the mysterious hen laid an egg 3 days in a row then day 4 and 5 nothing.
Is this normal, and if not why would they stop?

This is completely normal - so no need to worry. A new layer will often go in stops and starts as her system figures out the whole process. This can take a few weeks or more. Also, depending on breed, you are not likely to see an egg every day from every hen - mature laying hens average anywhere from 3-6 eggs per week, so you can see that there will be days that each bird does not produce an egg. What breeds do you have?

This is completely normal - so no need to worry. A new layer will often go in stops and starts as her system figures out the whole process. This can take a few weeks or more. Also, depending on breed, you are not likely to see an egg every day from every hen - mature laying hens average anywhere from 3-6 eggs per week, so you can see that there will be days that each bird does not produce an egg. What breeds do you have?
2-barnevelders
2-cuckoo marans
2-speckled sussex

Can I ask you a few more questions......at 21 weeks if I had roosters would they be crowing by now? I think I may have 2 because the comb and waddles are quite a bit bigger then the others.
And if my kids go check the nesting boxes would this delay the hens from laying?

oh good! this is my first go at this and i was concerned.

also, my kids love going to check for eggs do you think this interrupts them if they were going to lay?

An egg takes approximately 25 (give or take a few hours depending on what source you use) to form from start to finish. Generally speaking, an egg that is "in the pipe" is going to see itself through to completion (being laid) regardless - so a disruption today won't necessarily mean that today's egg doesn't get laid - it is more likely to mean that IF the bird undergoes a stressor you may see a disruption a day or two later as her system reacts in a way that would interrupt the beginning of that next egg. Certain stressors can cause a hen to have an interruption in production or to produce some pretty wonky eggs as her system reacts - but unless your kids are just being absolutely outrageous (not saying they are) in their checking that is not one of them. We regularly have hens hop in their box and lay an egg while we are out cleaning the coop, hanging with our flock, etc -- if your birds are used to the level of activity it isn't a stressor for them.

An egg takes approximately 25 (give or take a few hours depending on what source you use) to form from start to finish. Generally speaking, an egg that is "in the pipe" is going to see itself through to completion (being laid) regardless - so a disruption today won't necessarily mean that today's egg doesn't get laid - it is more likely to mean that IF the bird undergoes a stressor you may see a disruption a day or two later as her system reacts in a way that would interrupt the beginning of that next egg. Certain stressors can cause a hen to have an interruption in production or to produce some pretty wonky eggs as her system reacts - but unless your kids are just being absolutely outrageous (not saying they are) in their checking that is not one of them. We regularly have hens hop in their box and lay an egg while we are out cleaning the coop, hanging with our flock, etc -- if your birds are used to the level of activity it isn't a stressor for them.
no they are 9 and 13, and they just open the boxes from the outside to look.
should i put a fake egg or egg from the store in the nesting boxes to let them know where to go? or no
sorry for all the questions

2-barnevelders
2-cuckoo marans
2-speckled sussex

Can I ask you a few more questions......at 21 weeks if I had roosters would they be crowing by now? I think I may have 2 because the comb and waddles are quite a bit bigger then the others.
And if my kids go check the nesting boxes would this delay the hens from laying?

A rooster may or may not be crowing at this point - more likely yes, but anything is possible. You can start a thread and post pictures of your birds here https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this and get some pretty great feedback on your suspected roo if you would like. Are the two that show this difference the same breed? If so it may be that their breed characteristics are just different from the other breeds you have and that makes them look suspicious. Or, it may be that they are females and are just closer to laying (one may even be your laying bird now) as comb/wattle development comes with maturity and is often a good indicator that a female is reaching the point of lay.

Of the breeds you have, Sussex are generally the most productive with the barnevelders and marans being slightly less productive....with "average" production being 4, 3 and 3 eggs per week for the breeds respectively.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom