Help. My chickens are sick. Not sure what this is.

e_venik

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 1, 2009
Hi. We just got chickens several months ago, so all this is new to me. I have 2 large buffs (? i think), that i got and was told they are about 9mo old. They have been laying eggs about every other day and acting fine. Yesterday i didnt get any eggs, today either. When checking around the coop i noticed one has a swolled eye - its swolled shut and seems like it has some discharge comming out, and also a runny nose. The second one has a runny nose and slightly puffy eyes. They aren't as active either. we are in fl and its been really warm here for a while, but last 2 nights where cold, got down into the 40's at night. Did they catch a cold? Or is this something else. what can i do or give them. I would prefer to stay away from antibiotics if there are other options. Should i seperate them from the rest of the chickens?

Also, are there any websites i can check out to learn more about chickens, care, illness.... all kinds of stuff. Thanks for any/all help.

Some will answer who has more knowledge than me but I wanted to (bump)

I can see you are very worried.

Welcome from Ca.
welcome-byc.gif

If you search (click above) for chicken diseases there is a lot of info there.

Last edited:
Antibiotics aren't much good unless you know what you're treating
sad.png
The only way to know for sure is usually through necropsy of a dead bird. But, they can also suffer from sinus issues in changing weather. I hope someone can offer up some better and more thorough information for you. And I hope your hens get to feeling better soon!
fl.gif
hugs.gif

I had the same problem once and ended up losing most of my flock. It is contagious. Go to a farm store and ask for teramiacin. Its a powder that you mix into their water. You need to catch it quick or they will die. And definately separate them from the others. I actually treated the whole flock just in case. Was able to save 14 out of 40. Good luck and let me know how it turns out.

Back
Top Bottom