1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help my Chickens Butt!!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Evilmorgan, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Evilmorgan

Evilmorgan New Egg

Jul 15, 2011
    I know my title on this post sounds funny but its NO JOKE...I need help with giving aid to one of our chickens. I just noticed this today and no vets. will help treat her due to her being a chicken. Please Contact me back with some idea's to aid her. I have put her away from the other chickens in a small pen with food and water. She is a reddish brown hen, breed of chicken is Amercanas and weighs about 2lbs and is only about 5-6 months old. Please help us save her chicken butt.....Thanks Jenni

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Please post details of your chicken's problem. Symptoms, when it started, what you have done so far, diet etc. So somebody can try to help.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    The pic is very blurry. Did something bite her and pull out her feathers?

4. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana! You need to seperate her and clean it and put either some blue kote or neosporin on it!! Good Luck!! [​IMG]

5. Evilmorgan

Evilmorgan New Egg

Jul 15, 2011
    Here are her symptoms as of now...11:52pm my time. About an hour ago I fully cleaned the whole area with mild warm soapy water and rinsed it with mild warm non soapy water. Patted her dry and have used neosporin on her whole area that is a bloody mess. It appears that something either picked at her until she hide where they couldn't get to her. Her feathers are totally missing where her tail feathers would be. I don't know if I have done the correct things at this point to help her yet or not.

She feels warmer than the others as if she maybe running a fever. Her diet is free range backyard and a mix of 20% chicken scratch, cracked corn, and oyster shells, along with Iron Kids bread.

She is isolated from all the other chickens so they can not get to her. I will try during day time to take better pictures tommrow and post them so you can get a better look at what I'm trying to aid.

Thank You All that have responed so far...Jenni [​IMG]

6. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    When the bloody parts of her wound have healed more you can also use Blu-Kote liquid on her so that when/if you put her back with others they won't pick at her as much.

Her diet should be either a laying crumble/pellet or flock raiser and scratch used only as a treat, not a main staple.
    Lack of protein can make chickens start pulling each other's feathers out too.

The oyster shell is fine, and they need grit to digest the seeds and anything other than the crumbles or pellets fed to them.

You can feed some extra protein such as scrambled eggs, yogurt and such to help her heal faster.

The neosporin should help keep infection down, but if it gets infected she'll need antibiotics internally.
    You can flush the wounds with a very weak solution of betadine <made to look like weak tea>, dry and then put the antibiotic on like you've been doing. Betadine flush won't be as harsh as soap to the tender tissue.

7. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    Quote:I agree. [​IMG]

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. I had a hen that was pick on like that, in fact her tail feathers never did grow back in. You do have to keep the area covered with something that will hide the red and blood. I agree with the Blue Kote. I wouldn't keep her separted from the others too long or that will create it's own problems. Just keep putting on the ointment and Blue Kote on a regular basis. [​IMG]

9. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG] You might want to post this in the Emergency/Disease forum .. you'd probably get alot of advise there!

[​IMG]

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Great advice given. Lots of good luck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by