Help my chickens stopped laying!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Question...... I have 2 chickens One a FBCM and a Barred Rock . The Maran went broody around June eggs didn't hatch she never layed again the barred stopped laying about 3 weeks later . What can I do ?

yeah thanks but i dont think they have lice and/or mites I now think its too cold for them because I did a little research and i found chickens dont lay eggs in colder weather

thanks for all your help

It can really depend upon the breed. We provide additional light (total 14 hours a day) in a non insulated coop with no heat and got eggs at 10F the other day. They will slow down in the cold and that may be your reason for them not laying, but it also could be some other reason. The light is a big one for most breeds. Some breeds will lay very well without additional light and most others won't.

Question...... I have 2 chickens One a FBCM  and a Barred Rock . The Maran went broody around June eggs didn't hatch she never layed again the barred stopped laying about 3 weeks later . What can I do ?

How old are your birds? Do they appear healthy? What do you feed them?

Do you provide oyster shell? What kind of treats are they getting and how often? Did the broody girl start a molt after the eggs never hatched? Is there a possibility of worms? And do you have any extra light with the shorter days?

I have 9 chickens all free range all day, I live in Florida, so plenty of sun, I have 4 Barred Rocks, 4 Rhode Island Reds, and 1 Easter Egger. 2 have molted recently. I am getting 1 to 3 eggs a day sometimes none. My flock is just under 2 years old. This is aggravating as I am about to actually have to go buy eggs again and that is just silly with 9 girls. Is this common for all of them to just put on the brakes like this. BTW, the coldest it has been so far is 42, but gets back to the 60s and higher during the day.

Thanks for any help.

Hi Dave,

Where do you live in Florida? I have three of my original flock and what you describe fits them perfectly. My two Orphingtons stopped laying, and one of them molted. The other did not lay any eggs either - this started in September. My RIR who looks like she is trying to molt, has produced 5 to 6 eggs per week faithfully. My seven pullets just started to lay and four of them are laying now. I did have to buy eggs one time, but about a week after than, the youngsters started to lay. I get 2 cochin eggs and one or two RIR eggs each day. Yesterday, I finally got an orphington egg for the first time since they stopped laying. So, yes, I think it's normal from what you describe and where we live for the hens to do what you say. Mine are nearly 2 years old too. I live in NW Florida just north of Pensacola.

What are you temps? They could be warm or about to molt. They stop (usually) when molting. Or if you suspect illness try worming them. If they aren't laying, it would be the perfect time since you'll throw out less eggs in the long run. Are they eating and drinking OK? How does their poo look?

Back
Top Bottom