HElp my dog started killing my chickens

I'm so sorry for your losses! It's always favorites, too.
Your dog and chickens need to be separated by good fencing, a safe coop, and run. Then, retraining will take time, while there can't be any time that the dog and chickens are together unsupervised. It won't be that easy, and this dog may or may not ever be safe unsupervised with your birds.
Back to on leash training, then long leash, then electric collar as a very long leash.
Does this dog have actual work? Being bored, especially when as smart and work oriented as your dog likely is, will inspire poor behaviors too. And a tired dog is a good dog!
Mary
It might be. He’s just a guardian and he’s always scared of everything so it was much of a surprise I really thought a hawk or opossum ate the first one, but I saw him killing it. I couldn’t throw her away I buried her and put big rocks on top. I was very attached to dear Debbie. She laid her last egg and got killed right after 😩 I still have her egg

Your bird husbandry I’ve read thoroughly and enjoy. Giving the dog a bird it killed isn’t one that I will agree with. Ever.
Training bird dogs, if a dog ever gets a bird down it’s throat, it’s almost guaranteed to be a bird eater from that point. Almost impossible to correct.
And it was late when he ate the first one he did it at dawn and we didn’t know

It might be. He’s just a guardian and he’s always scared of everything so it was much of a surprise I really thought a hawk or opossum ate the first one, but I saw him killing it. I couldn’t throw her away I buried her and put big rocks on top. I was very attached to dear Debbie. She laid her last egg and got killed right after 😩 I still have her egg
Hatch it?
Is this dog strictly a pet?
I would consider dog-proofing the coop, and if he's supposed to be a livestock guardian find a new one.

Your bird husbandry I’ve read thoroughly and enjoy. Giving the dog a bird it killed isn’t one that I will agree with. Ever.
Training bird dogs, if a dog ever gets a bird down it’s throat, it’s almost guaranteed to be a bird eater from that point. Almost impossible to correct.
I have done it with three dogs so far. I did not think it would work either, but had no choice with first dog because I did not see what was going on until only legs were left. It was from a chicken the dog killed. After I found he could be easily dissuaded from going after live chickens, we rolled with it. Other dogs got first from dead pile (when we butcher) from what they retrieved from fox cache. Latter mostly neighbors chickens where fox caches near us. My dogs have lots to do and work their butts off, especially at night.

I am not a professional dog trainer, nor have I been given much more than basics in how to train a dog to be obedient. I learned by observations and making more than my share of mistakes.

Back
Top Bottom