Help - my duck has a feed crumble stuck in its nostril

Back on the Farm

Songster
8 Years
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland
When I went to give my ducks fresh water this afternoon I noticed one of my ducks (white pekin) about 2 weeks old, has a chick starter crumble stuck in her/his nostril. I thought at first she/he was getting sick because it sounds like she/he has a stuffy nose. No discharge, but when I looked closely, I noticed the food stuck in the nostril...
idunno.gif
should I try to remove it or should I let the duck work it out. She/he isn't distressed by it - eating and drinking normally.

Any suggestions???

That's what I would do. Let him swim in the tub or the laundry tub and he will probably start dunking his head. I would dry him off really well before returning him to the brooder tho. He might be more comfortable with a friend there with him but I would only leave them in the water for a few minutes. Don't want them to become chilled.

Last edited:
If it doesnt come out in the tub, use a tooth pick and be gentle to get it out, then hold the duck and blow through the nose hole. That always works for me.

I hope the bath does it for you - take a close look at their water situation - if they're not washing their faces, you might want to try something else. My runners would splash and snort in their face wash buckets regularly, as well as while taking a bath in the tub.

The bath worked... I put both of them in the bath for a few minutes and they loved it. Dunked their heads under and they splashed about. The food softened up and she/he was able to blow it out -
wee.gif

My son and I wrapped them up in towels and dried them off completly before they went back to the brooder. They were so cute, curled up in our laps wrapped in a towel. They kept looking at us and it looked like they were understanding our conversations.
smile.png

Thanks for the advice. This is my first go around with ducks and I'm so hooked. Secretly - I hope that I have a male and a female - it would be neat to raise a batch of ducklings.

Back
Top Bottom