First of all, they are probably not all hers if you think this is very recent. She can only lay, at best, one egg a day. Second of all, you must have a Drake, right? And also, congratulations on the first eggs! She should be ok for another month because it's not too cold now but if I were you, I would wait till spring to let her hatch babies. That's my two cents! Hope that helps!:frow

I would just let nature happen. If I were you I would let her free range until they hatch. Yes, it is better to do it in the spring but I've heard of it happening in the fall, spring, and summer and the ducklings were fine. If she went broody now then I trust her instinct. But you should do what you think is best. :)

I appreciate that, thank you. I know they're very cold hardy, and I just don't feel right about snatching up her nest that she's so fond of. I just want to be sure the babies get what they need, if they hatch at all.
If she is broody and is setting on the nest and hatches ducklings I wouldn't worry. Ducks are great mothers.

Back
Top Bottom