Help - my duck is vomiting

FlapFlaps

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 11, 2015
One of our rescue ducks tonight vomited black liquid - no food in it, and she hadn't been turned out in the yard to forage since about 11:30 this AM, this was at about 10 PM tonight. She has pooped, but won't eat her regular pellets or feed. She was shivering a little bit, but seemed to be upset and stressed when she was separated from the rest of the flock. She is now drinking lots of water, acting happy, and has pooped a couple of times. Still hasn't eaten though. Any advice from duck health experts??

Mix feed with water to make a slurry. The pellets will absorb the water as you add it in. Try to boost her system. I use plain yogurt (only plain), save-a-chick powders or vinegar with the mother culture in it(cloudy apple cider).

If you use vinegar do not place in metal or acid reactive materials. Use 1 Tbsp to a gallon of water. Glass is safe to use.

She might be shaking because you separated her from the flock/just not used to you yet. Got any pics of the black stuff?

No pictures, I wasn't at home at the time unfortunately, my hubby was texting me while I was at work. Last night after I posted this she had a couple of drinks of water but no more vomiting/regurgitation. This morning before we let them out I checked her crop because I thought she might be impacted but her chest was nice and soft, no distention/sour smell/oral discharge or anything like that. I let her out and she immediately ate and drank water, no problems at all. She's still her normal cheerful self. Hopefully whatever it was has resolved!!

Thanks for writing back! I think I'm going to get some vinegar and activated charcoal just to have handy in the first aid kit. We have Sav-A-Chick but didn't think of it last night.

Back
Top Bottom