HELP! My duck may have impacted crop!

A few days ago? How long has this been happening? You might need to take her to the vet. If it's a blockage she may need surgery. Kinda like rabbits and hairballs....
This has been happening for 4-5 days now. The good news is its not getting bigger (that photo was taken at its biggest, i got on it right away and it hasn't been this bad since) but when she eats its gets bigger which makes me believe something is stuck in there..something like straw potentially. It looks normal first thing in the morning before she eats. I'll speak to a vet today while picking up the worming paste.

If your like most of us that don't have a vet that will look at poultry then we have to start by elimination worming won't hurt. Add the ACV to her drinking water and along with the grit hopefully if straw is compacted in there this will get it moving out, How does her poop look is it mainly water? You can take poop up to a vet for a fecal they can tell you if she has internal parasites. I can tell you when my hen[chicken] had impaction from eating hay she ate alot [feed]but was skin and bones how does your duck feel can you feel her breast bone does it stick out?
It's great when you have a vet that will see our poultry but it must be pretty rare to find one.
I heard it was hard to find a poultry vet so I'll just speak to my local equine vet I know. I was going to start the process of elimination with ACV and worming paste. Her poop is not mostly water, it's mushy because I took all the grains out of her feed (because I thought the grain was getting stuck there) and just feed her pellets for the last few days. I do not feel any breast bone, should i?? My duck is not skin and bones, she's got some weight to her. Her crop feels like fat and feathers, nothing hard or bony.

I heard it was hard to find a poultry vet so I'll just speak to my local equine vet I know. I was going to start the process of elimination with ACV and worming paste. Her poop is not mostly water, it's mushy because I took all the grains out of her feed (because I thought the grain was getting stuck there) and just feed her pellets for the last few days. I do not feel any breast bone, should i?? My duck is not skin and bones, she's got some weight to her. Her crop feels like fat and feathers, nothing hard or bony.
You should not feel the breast bone protruding. that would mean she is too thin. Great you have a vet to speak to not saying they will be able to help much with your duck but worth a try for sure. Get her weight and casportpony can help with amount of paste to give her.

This has been happening for 4-5 days now. The good news is its not getting bigger (that photo was taken at its biggest, i got on it right away and it hasn't been this bad since) but when she eats its gets bigger which makes me believe something is stuck in there..something like straw potentially. It looks normal first thing in the morning before she eats. I'll speak to a vet today while picking up the worming paste.

Yay! Let me know what they say. Poor girl, hope she gets better. Are the smaller meals doing anything? She's still eating and pooping normally, right?

Yay! Let me know what they say. Poor girl, hope she gets better. Are the smaller meals doing anything? She's still eating and pooping normally, right?
She's eating and pooping great, the crop doesn't have any affect on her behavior at all.

She's eating and pooping great, the crop doesn't have any affect on her behavior at all.

Does her poop look 100% normal?

-Kathy

Can you post a picture of it?

-Kathy[/quote
Here's her poop, its looking more solid today. I gave some ACV and then yogurt. The grit has been moving thru her system, I see it in poop!!

Back
Top Bottom