Help!! My duckling has several issues and is very lethargic

Corbdee

Duckies!
Aug 1, 2020
Middle of somewhere
Hey guys. So if on the slight chance any of you reading have replied to me previously, my same Pekin is just not doing good (I have two ducklings right now, a Pekin and a mallard, and the mallard is 4 days older than the Pekin).

So my first one hatched about 2 weeks ago, and it was doing perfectly fine...eating, growing, drying off, and now he’s huge. The second one hatched about a week and 2 days ago, and this whole time it’s just not making any progress whatsoever. The mallard (my first one) was gigantic at a week old, but the Pekin isn’t growing at all. Over the past few days we’ve resorted to hand feeding her scrambled chicken eggs, and watered down purina duck pellets from TSC. She still just doesn’t eat much, and can hardly keep her head up.

On top of that, my mallard has been just stepping all over her, and she’s literally 3 times her size, so that’s not helping either. We also think he’s been Peking at her, because there is this huge patch of skin without fuzz on her neck. We finally decided to separate them today, and currently the mallard is in a smaller bin outside for heat until I buy some mesh at Lowe’s or someplace so he can run around in the grass. I’m just very worried about her because she’s even though she has the whole brooder to herself, she’s not doing much better. She’s only grown the tiniest bit, and I’ve been trying to get her some good niacin so she’s less weak.

Anyway, it seems like I’m getting worried about every little thing now because I’m not sure if she’ll be ok, but now there’s these fruit flies and regular flies swarming all around and in the brooder. Is that something to be worried about? Are they like eating at the Pekin? I included a pic of her patch and the flies swarming around if you can see them... it wouldn’t allow me to take a video. Apologies about the bad quality.

Thanks,
Corbin

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    384.8 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 4
Have things improved at all ? Make sure that flies are not laying eggs on the duckling, and that the brooder is clean and dry. Good luck.

could be wry neck wry neck is caused by either a nutritional deficiency, a head injury, or botulism, and it can be deadly. if you have a pond near were you live try letting her swim in a bucket of pond water and adding more vitamins/minerals to her food

Back
Top Bottom