Help! My ducklings are late hatching!

I looked this morning and humidity was on 50% so it didn't set to my new setting for ducklings...it must be on 50% for chicks by default and I did something wrong with the settings.
I was pipette'ing warm water over the eggs every day for the last 2 weeks, but I guess it wasn't enough.

Ducklings seem fine today, wriggling about. Two have yellow bills, one has a grey one which has actually pierced the membrane completely and is opening and closing in between wriggles.
I keep looking every half an hour or so, I've been going a bit crazy, back and forth.
I still pipette the shell and membrane edge with warm water so they don't become vacuum-packed.

The veins have almost completely shriveled to a hairline's width now. I'll post photos in the next couple hours.

Thanks for all your help guys, my friends think I'm bonkers. I keep dreaming that they're all out and healthy and chirping!

Last edited:
I looked this morning and humidity was on 50% so it didn't set to my new setting for ducklings...it must be on 50% for chicks by default and I did something wrong with the settings.
I was pipette'ing warm water over the eggs every day for the last 2 weeks, but I guess it wasn't enough.

Ducklings seem fine today, wriggling about. Two have yellow bills, one has a grey one which has actually pierced the membrane completely and is opening and closing in between wriggles.
I keep looking every half an hour or so, I've been going a bit crazy, back and forth.
I still pipette the shell and membrane edge with warm water so they don't become vacuum-packed.

The veins have almost completely shriveled to a hairline's width now. I'll post photos in the next couple hours.

Thanks for all your help guys, my friends think I'm bonkers. I keep dreaming that they're all out and healthy and chirping!
fl.gif
how's the one doing you started helping . and be careful with the water you don't want to drown them, I know it can happen with chicks not sure with ducklings. Look forward to hearing updates.

I sort've run a few warm droplets around the outside of the membrane, avoiding the ducklings' beaks and then after a couple seconds of the water soaking in, I draw out any excess with the pipette.
I heard a squeak just a minute ago, and the beak from another (bueish grey one - I call him Sylvester) opens and closes, moving his tongue about like he's tasty the air, he looks the most ready and moves around a lot.

I sort've run a few warm droplets around the outside of the membrane, avoiding the ducklings' beaks and then after a couple seconds of the water soaking in, I draw out any excess with the pipette.
I heard a squeak just a minute ago, and the beak from another (bueish grey one - I call him Sylvester) opens and closes, moving his tongue about like he's tasty the air, he looks the most ready and moves around a lot.
So excited for you, won't be long now. I had to help out 1 duckling thank goodness that's the only one, she was actually under one of my older ducks and she struggled and struggled to get out so I ended up spending most of Fri sat and sun working on her shell, under her mama [I'd bring out the egg work a bit then put it back], finally on Monday morn I had gotten enough off she was able to kick her way out, but I used a spray bottle and would spray the membrane well one of the times I was spraying that lil thing opened it bill and took a drink, well that to me was amazing. Sure look forward to seeing yours when they hatch. They are so special.

Well I'm a little confused as to why your dripping water on them? by doing this, this tells me you are opening the bator and right now, that's about the worst thing you can do. you'll cause them to shrink wrap.

Your best bet is to get a wet sponge or a glass of warm water to put inside to raise that humidity... if you are unable to make the adjustments with the bator itself.

ducklings are doing really well, one is starting to come out, he stretches his little wing out and his eyes are open.
When I didn't open the incubator, the membrane was still too dry and I could see it turning to a gluey consistency, I think my incubator isn't very good.
I did what I thought was right and it seems to be working, all is going really well, feeling relieved now as all 3 beaks are out and everyone's chirping and fidgeting.

Many thanks.

Last edited:
ducklings are doing really well, one is starting to come out, he stretches his little wing out and his eyes are open.
When I didn't open the incubator, the membrane was still too dry and I could see it turning to a gluey consistency, I think my incubator isn't very good.
I did what I thought was right and it seems to be working, all is going really well, feeling relieved now as all 3 beaks are out and everyone's chirping and fidgeting.

Many thanks.
pop.gif
pics when you can.

Hi all,
I have some bad news, I found 2 of the ducklings dead this morning, half hatched.
These were the two I didn't help much.

The one I helped the most (by peeling away sticky dead membrane and shell away from his face and freeing his body slightly) is half hanging out of his shell wriggling about and squeaking.
His eyes are half open, his mouth and nostrils are clear of obstruction but his down feathers are still stuck to his skin in most places.
There is a slight bit of yolk at the base of the egg (about the size of a shriveled marble) but still attached to his tummy, and his feet are sort've gripping the rim of the shell (with big claws!)

I cried my eyes out this morning, I've put the two little sleeping babies in a egg box and I'm going to bury them in a bit.

The one who is left is chocolate colour and called Sylvester.
I talk and squeak back to him through the incubator to stimulate him. He's taking big breaths and goes from being quite still to very lively.

I feel like I've barely slept a wink.

hu.gif

Last edited:
Hi all,
I have some bad news, I found 2 of the ducklings dead this morning, half hatched.
These were the two I didn't help much.

The one I helped the most (by peeling away sticky dead membrane and shell away from his face and freeing his body slightly) is half hanging out of his shell wriggling about and squeaking.
His eyes are half open, his mouth and nostrils are clear of obstruction but his down feathers are still stuck to his skin in most places.
There is a slight bit of yolk at the base of the egg (about the size of a shriveled marble) but still attached to his tummy, and his feet are sort've gripping the rim of the shell (with big claws!)

I cried my eyes out this morning, I've put the two little sleeping babies in a egg box and I'm going to bury them in a bit.

The one who is left is chocolate colour and called Sylvester.
I talk and squeak back to him through the incubator to stimulate him. He's taking big breaths and goes from being quite still to very lively.

I feel like I've barely slept a wink.

hu.gif
I'm so sorry
hugs.gif
Let Sylvester get out on his own, the struggle will make him strong. This lil one is the only one left now?
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom