Help! My ducklings are late hatching!

temperature is set to 37.5c and the humidity is at 94-95% humidity now, but I think it fluctuated..
it's a weird Japanese make and instructions are really odd, so I just set the levels as best I could.

most of the ducks are very indian runer-looking, but they obviously needed a little longer.
I'm not touching them anymore, I think they'll hatch tomorrow sometime, hopefully...

temperature is set to 37.5c and the humidity is at 94-95% humidity now, but I think it fluctuated..
it's a weird Japanese make and instructions are really odd, so I just set the levels as best I could.

most of the ducks are very indian runer-looking, but they obviously needed a little longer.
I'm not touching them anymore, I think they'll hatch tomorrow sometime, hopefully...
95% for HUMIDITY!!!! get that DOWN. OMG, no wonder they are not out yet. GET THAT DOWN...

Not with the Humidity so HIGH, they can't absorb all that water and there yolk, they will get tired out before they get out. 94-95% is way to high. How long has it been this high???

If more then three days, you need to lower it down to about 50% give them a chance to get rid of all that water so they can absorb... I'm surprise they are still alive. OUCH. I had mine at 80 and Killed them all.

Last edited:
hmmm maybe it wasn't that high...I'm not at home now, I will check when I get back.
(to be honest, I'm not good at remembering numbers)

I'm not stupid, even though just then I sounded it...I'm awesome with animals and I've successfully raised my chickens from an incubator.

I'll let you know what my incubator says, I definitely set it to what I read from various duck breeding websites was best for them.

hmmm maybe it wasn't that high...I'm not at home now, I will check when I get back.
(to be honest, I'm not good at remembering numbers)

I'm not stupid, even though just then I sounded it...I'm awesome with animals and I've successfully raised my chickens from an incubator.

I'll let you know what my incubator says, I definitely set it to what I read from various duck breeding websites was best for them.

Your humidity needs to be at 65% and no higher then 70% they can tolerate 75 but that is really pushing it. The lower the better right now..

I looked this morning and humidity was on 50% so it didn't set to my new setting for ducklings...it must be on 50% for chicks by default and I did something wrong with the settings.
I was pipette'ing warm water over the eggs every day for the last 2 weeks, but I guess it wasn't enough.

Ducklings seem fine today, wriggling about. Two have yellow bills, one has a grey one which has actually pierced the membrane completely and is opening and closing in between wriggles.
I keep looking every half an hour or so, I've been going a bit crazy, back and forth.
I still pipette the shell and membrane edge with warm water so they don't become vacuum-packed.

The veins have almost completely shriveled to a hairline's width now. I'll post photos in the next couple hours.

Thanks for all your help guys, my friends think I'm bonkers. I keep dreaming that they're all out and healthy and chirping!

Last edited:
I looked this morning and humidity was on 50% so it didn't set to my new setting for ducklings...it must be on 50% for chicks by default and I did something wrong with the settings.
I was pipette'ing warm water over the eggs every day for the last 2 weeks, but I guess it wasn't enough.

Ducklings seem fine today, wriggling about. Two have yellow bills, one has a grey one which has actually pierced the membrane completely and is opening and closing in between wriggles.
I keep looking every half an hour or so, I've been going a bit crazy, back and forth.
I still pipette the shell and membrane edge with warm water so they don't become vacuum-packed.

The veins have almost completely shriveled to a hairline's width now. I'll post photos in the next couple hours.

Thanks for all your help guys, my friends think I'm bonkers. I keep dreaming that they're all out and healthy and chirping!
fl.gif
how's the one doing you started helping . and be careful with the water you don't want to drown them, I know it can happen with chicks not sure with ducklings. Look forward to hearing updates.

I sort've run a few warm droplets around the outside of the membrane, avoiding the ducklings' beaks and then after a couple seconds of the water soaking in, I draw out any excess with the pipette.
I heard a squeak just a minute ago, and the beak from another (bueish grey one - I call him Sylvester) opens and closes, moving his tongue about like he's tasty the air, he looks the most ready and moves around a lot.

I sort've run a few warm droplets around the outside of the membrane, avoiding the ducklings' beaks and then after a couple seconds of the water soaking in, I draw out any excess with the pipette.
I heard a squeak just a minute ago, and the beak from another (bueish grey one - I call him Sylvester) opens and closes, moving his tongue about like he's tasty the air, he looks the most ready and moves around a lot.
So excited for you, won't be long now. I had to help out 1 duckling thank goodness that's the only one, she was actually under one of my older ducks and she struggled and struggled to get out so I ended up spending most of Fri sat and sun working on her shell, under her mama [I'd bring out the egg work a bit then put it back], finally on Monday morn I had gotten enough off she was able to kick her way out, but I used a spray bottle and would spray the membrane well one of the times I was spraying that lil thing opened it bill and took a drink, well that to me was amazing. Sure look forward to seeing yours when they hatch. They are so special.

Back
Top Bottom