HELP!!! My ducks are starving!!!!

cjeanean

Can't Decide
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Missouri
Okay, I ran out of food today and didn't realize cause I'm an idiot and I can't go buy any because the stores are closed. My husband mowed the grass yesterday so I put some grass clippings in there, which they like, but what else can I feed them??? I have chicken scratch and some old oatmeal, that's about it!!! No vegetables, my fridge is practically empty till my hubby gets paid. PLEASE HELP!!!! I don't want them to starve!!!!

well in a pinch I have given my ducks/chickens - chicken scratch - it got me by for a few days until we were able to get to the feed store and get reg feed.
It is not something you want them to long term but for a night or two it is better to give them that - rather than them go without - also my chickens/ducks LOVE oatmeal.

dont panic - go out and feed your ducks it will be alright
hugs.gif

julie

Is there anyone near you with ducks or chickens that can loan you a half a bag of feed? What about your feed store? Can you explain you don't have money to feed your ducks and could they advance you a bag until payday?

Oatmeal and scratch will do in a pinch.

It's not that we don't have the money for the duck food (it's only ten bucks for a 50lb bag) the problem is that my fridge is empty until payday. Meaning no fresh veggies
sad.png
And no, there isn't anyone in the area that has chickens/ducks. I don't know if I'd want to get it from them anyway, cause I know mine are disease free and I don't know that theirs are. Don't want to accidentally cross-contaminate! So as far as the oatmeal goes, should I cook it first???? Thanks so much guys!!!! I really appreciate, I was having a heart attack there!!!! Any other suggestions????

I feed my ducks chicken feed, in fact what I use says right on the bag that it can be fed to ducks. I'm sure they will be fine with it.

Many days my ducks don't eat feed at all. I have it out for them, but they prefer to freerange and dig worms, eat bugs and plants. They are pretty self suffecient if they have access to free range, which mine do for most of the day.

A neighbor of mine doesn't feed his all they just survive on his pond. Wild ducks don't have feed put out for them. I would offer the chicken feed that you have and let them free range, if thats possible. Mine never travel very far from their pen.

Mine are actually still inside since their pen isn't predator proof (the ground is too soggy to get the fencing buried solidly enough) so they're stuck in the house. Does anyone know if I need to cook the oatmeal before giving it to them????

Oatmeal can go either way, you can also do rice, unsweetened cereal like shredded wheat/grape nuts etc. Pasta, bread, cornbread, biscuits...etc. I wouldn't recommend that all the time but if you have nothing else, it works.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom