Help! My flock is attacking one of the others!

venturemom

Chirping
May 5, 2018
So I acquired a chicken that is about the same age as my other flock and same breed as some. She was attacked by a fox and I nursed her back to health. She actually started out with a couple of hens and the rooster I acquired before her. I have kept her separate from the flock until this week. They have been able to see her through fencing for a while now. For the past two days I let them mingle all outside. Today I heard her squeaking more than normal and came out to find her laying on the ground while 4 or 5 chickens plucked at her. She just payed there and took her he abuse. I just don’t know what I can do next for her.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    829.9 KB · Views: 8
It's hard to add just one hen to a flock for this reason. I'd separate them again on either side of the fence for another week or so. They'll probably pick on her a bit no matter what you do but hopefully it won't last long.

I'd look into adding more clutter to the run (you have some, but extra would help right now) as well as at least 1 more feeder placed apart from the other(s).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

Adding just 1 bird is difficult. Might try penning her up separately with the most docile bird in your other group for a few days, and then try integrating her as a pair with the docile bird.

Adding just 1 bird is difficult. Might try penning her up separately with the most docile bird in your other group for a few days, and then try integrating her as a pair with the docile bird.
Ditto Dat!
Yes, add one of the more docile birds into her pen, mix and match until you find a good match. I'd wait more than a few days tho.

Back
Top Bottom