HELP! My goat gave birth! REALLY BAD NEWS Post#77 Need Answers

bheila you are amazing. Just thought I would let you know that. Best of luck with your little surprises
big_smile.png

Quote:
Sounds about right to me. She'll have colostrum for a couple days and then really start to make milk. Just keep an eye on her.

I have Boer goats and stall them to kid. I agree with the other person that said to put mom and the kids in a small stall (mine are 4'x6') with the kids for a few days. That way the kids and mom can bond. I usually keep them in a stall for at least 4 days. Just really depends on the individual mom and kids.

Make sure you give the mom plenty to eat. I give mine all the goat feed they will eat ( I keep their tray in the stall full) and clean water and lots of hay for the time she is in the stall. I also use Goat Nutri Drench on the mom's and on weak kids. It really seems to give them energy. It also seems to help the does start with milk production. Here is a link: http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=03e60cc0-0f86-419e-8fae-7e4a5464f48c .

I make incubators for my baby goats. I use a 30 gallon plastic drum. They are much safer than heat lamps. I stand the drum on it's end with the bungs up. Cut a 8" high x 12" wide hole in one side of the drum about 4" from the bottom. I screw a 2x6 to the top of the drum and drill a 1" hole through the 2x6 and the drum. I buy a temporary light socket http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?sitex=10026:22372:US&item=335751 and a cheap 2 wire 10' extension cord from Wal-Mart. I cut off the female end of the cord and run it through the hole and wire it to the light socket. Pull the socket up against the inside of the drum and use wire staples to attach the cord to the 2x6. I use a 45 watt flood light bulb.

I then put a little straw in the bottom of the drum. Plug it in and instant incubator. The 45 watt bulb provides plenty of heat, but doesn't use as much electricity as a heat lamp bulb. They also won't break like a heat lamp bulb will.

Right now I have 17 baby goats at home that were born between December 17th and today. I have 3 more does in stalls that are due to kid on the 6th or after. Of the 20 babies that i have had born 17 lived. 1 was stillborn. 1 wouldn't nurse (or bottle feed) and 1 died yesterday from joint ill (infection of the umbilical cord).

One other thing to do is dip the baby goats umbilical cords in iodine as soon as possible. I use an old film container. Fill it full. Place it over the cord and against the skin and tilt the baby and container back. The one I had die from joint ill was born out in the barn instead of in a stall on dry shavings. He ran a high fever 106* even after 2 LA200 shots and got too weak to nurse.
sad.png

Good luck with your goats. They are addicting. Another good website is: www.boergoats.com They have all kinds of information that pertains to all species of goats. Look under articles, you will find many days of reading.

Chris
www.hillboergoats.com

Okay, that's good to know about how long it takes the milk to come in. I had read somewhere else that said it took a day, but that's why I always ask. Better to be safe then sorry. I just didn't want them to starve. Right now mom and babies are in their own part of the goat shed, my wether can't get to them to bother them. It's about 4'x6'. That's an awesome idea for a goat incubator. If I a planned goat birth I would much rather go that route. My power bill just for my chicks this month is $150. I plan on raising the heat lamp just a little Mama goat has all the clean water and hay she needs. I just need to go to the store to get her some grain.

Yeah, it kills me having 2 heat lamps running 24/7 for the chickens. The power bill in the barn this month was $58.00. Of course I ran a lot of lights in the goats pens and have a Mercury Vapor light on the end of the barn that burns all night. I put the compact flourescents everywhere that I don't need the bulbs to emit heat. They seem to help a lot.

Good luck with the goats.

Chris

Quote:
Ahhh thanks!
hugs.gif
but I can only take a little bit of the credit. Most of it goes to Daisy the mama goat and to all of the awesome BYCer's who gave me such great advice.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww at 7 inches tall you can keep them in the house!
lau.gif
Heck you could slip them in your purse and go shopping!

Quote:
I KNOW!.....
love.gif

I already asked my husband if we could buy some infant diapers and take the babies grocery shopping with us. You know people would just love seeing the babies.

Here's a couple pics. Babies seem to be doing well. Daisy's bag hasn't filled yet but she is producing milk finally. I last checked on the babies at 10pm last night and didn't go out until 7am this morning. I offered them some milk replacer and they didn't drink much so I'm thinking that Daisy is making producing enough for them. That's a good sign, right? I was concerned because when I did squeeze her teat only a little squirt would come out. But like I said I'll go by what the babies are telling me instead. I think I'll raise the heat lamp a little they've been moving away from it. I told my husband last night that he isn't allowed to let me breed the girls because I honestly wouldn't be able to sell the babies
love.gif

IMG00048.jpg

P1060061.jpg

Does anybody know what the average weight of a pygmy kid is? I don't have a scale but we did an approximate weight. My cousin has a teacup Chihuahua and she weighs 4lbs. We figured the kids were about half of that.

Back
Top Bottom