HELP! My goat gave birth! REALLY BAD NEWS Post#77 Need Answers

7 inches?!??! I could probably convince DB that it was a cat if they were that small!
smile.png

Congratulations and I'm glad everything is looking better!!

1 thing I would do is go to Wal-Mart and buy some Vitamin E gel caps and give 1 each day to the babies for about 5 days. It will help them alot. Also remember to worm the momma since she just kidded as she will need it too. Some warm molasses water will help her energy level too. They look great from such a bad start and I agree they can sure crawl into your heart quick... Congrats!!

Thanks for posting on my goat emergency thread. My Nigerian Dwarf gave birth early am to triplets. One was stillborn it seems. One is pretty healthy looking and running around but mama is finally starting to wash it but hasn't let it nurse. One is very frail and sickly looking and I have it rolled up in a sweatshirt curled up in my lap against my stomach to stop it from shivering. I'm about to go and try tying up the mama so they can nurse. Just wanted to say thanks for referring me to your experience with same. By the way, my two survivors look just like your two.

Monique

Quote:
I just happened to worm her about 2 weeks ago because I didn't know she was pregnant. If I would have know she was going to have babies I would have wormed here herbally instead. It's good to know about the Vitamin E.

Quote:
If you can put them in front of a heater that blows hot air. At one point I even used a hair dryer. I honestly believe. They would have died without being warmed up that way. Just being in the house wasn't warm enough. Why don't you just squeeze the colostrum out of mama. It worked for me. Now they're sucking like crazy.

I have a new question for all of you goat veterans. The babies are sucking on mom all of the time, so when is her bag going to fill? I squeezed her teat and she only has colostrum coming out still. Is this okay.

I am so thrilled to see them both up on their feet. Hopefully the worst part is past and they are just working on being 100% healthy now. You did such a fantastic job for them!

Ruth said:
One is very frail and sickly looking and I have it rolled up in a sweatshirt curled up in my lap against my stomach to stop it from shivering.

As I've been researching and getting ready for my own first kids to be born I learned that a person cannot get the body temp of a kid up to the needed point by holding them against the person. A goats temperature is roughly 102 - 104; a persons body temp is 98.6.... we just aren't warm enough. So, a secondary source of heat has to be used to warm up a kid.

Continued good luck to you both.​

Excellent job......I just happened upon this...have a bit of goat experience....did someone suggest Fiasco Farms website? If not: they are a big help.........your babies are wonderful!

Back
Top Bottom