Help! My goose eat a rope..?

BarkingChickens

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 25, 2013
Northern Virginia
My Coop
My Coop
Hey everyone, I have a young African Goose that eat a nylon rope and got it stuck in her. I came out this morning and she had a 2ft long nylon rope hanging out of her mouth. It's thick too, have no idea where she got it. I tried to pull it out, but it won't budge. I cut it off at her beak and now am praying for the best.. Has anyone had similar situation? She is just starting to build a nest and I'm sure she was trying to gather it and somehow swollowed the end of it. I have a feeling it had a knot on the end of it, as the other end did as well. I'm really worried and hope she won't die! Any suggestions, prayers etc will be greatly appreciated.

Hey everyone, I have a young African Goose that eat a nylon rope and got it stuck in her. I came out this morning and she had a 2ft long nylon rope hanging out of her mouth. It's thick too, have no idea where she got it. I tried to pull it out, but it won't budge. I cut it off at her beak and now am praying for the best.. Has anyone had similar situation? She is just starting to build a nest and I'm sure she was trying to gather it and somehow swollowed the end of it. I have a feeling it had a knot on the end of it, as the other end did as well. I'm really worried and hope she won't die! Any suggestions, prayers etc will be greatly appreciated.
Hi Barking. That´s rather worrying. You did well not to pull too hard, as you could do a lot of damage. The best thing would be to get an x-ray done to see what´s going on, but quite honestly it doesn´t sound too hopeful, especially if there´s a knot on it. poor gal. Geese are terrible for nibbling at things llike that. Do you have a vet near you?

I have tried to find one, but the closes farm vet is two hrs away. She is drinking and bathing now and I do see some slight swelling on the side of her face and upper neck, it's probably due to the trauma of my pulling and she herself was trying to get rid of it by thrashing her neck back and forth. Its really sad, as she laid her first egg yesterday. I'll see if I can call the vet for advise. I no I can't afford surgery :-( I just checked inside her mouth and do not see the rope so she has swollowed it.. All I can do is hope she passes it.. Darn goose.. She is such a sweetheart and her name is Gabby. Please pray for her everyone !

I have tried to find one, but the closes farm vet is two hrs away. She is drinking and bathing now and I do see some slight swelling on the side of her face and upper neck, it's probably due to the trauma of my pulling and she herself was trying to get rid of it by thrashing her neck back and forth. Its really sad, as she laid her first egg yesterday. I'll see if I can call the vet for advise. I no I can't afford surgery :-( I just checked inside her mouth and do not see the rope so she has swollowed it.. All I can do is hope she passes it.. Darn goose.. She is such a sweetheart and her name is Gabby. Please pray for her everyone !
I hope all turns out ok..

Hi everyone, well Gabby is still not eating and is becoming weaker. Unfortunately it's not looking good for her. I'm going to see how she is in the morning and if no better, likely put her down. Please continue your prayers, as miracles can happen and I'm trying everything I can to make her comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom