Help!! My hen has been limping for around two months!

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
I have a silver laced wyadotte who I found limping after my dog ran into the coop to steal an egg. We assumed she had a sprained ankle, and there was no swelling no heat, no bumblefoot, really no sight of injury what so ever, but she didn't hardly want to stand on it. Over the course of three days, she had gotten better, walking slightly, but still limping quite a bit. We kept her in a kennel for a week, then when she stared walking we put her in our duck pen, with a broody duck. She mostly just sat there next to out broody, and they got along great! If she got to close, out duck would snap at her and she would step back. We gave her vitamins in her water and kept the food close to her. She stayed sitting in the duck pen for a bout two weeks hardly moving and getting plenty of rest. Then finally our broody gave up, because the eggs didn't make it and we released her out with our ducks and she was still limping! She had hardly any movement, which is the treatment for a sprain and she is still gimpy? I thought maybe it was slipped tendon, since it wasn't healing, but there was no swelling AT ALL. I am so confused. Is she just gonna have a permanent limp? She runs around the duck pen no problem, but has a noticeable limp when she is walking. When she is standing she lifts her foot off ground and hesitates to put it down. I am so confused, what could be going on, I will try and post a video, but don't have a youtube acount and don't feel the need to make one, if you need a video, any ideas how to get one here without youtube?I can supply pictures. Thanks, Avery

Thanks, she seems to be doing well. I just wanted to be sure there was nothing I could do. Thanks so much
The worry with a dog would be a puncture wound or broken bone. Both would have healed up by now as much as they will.

She likely had a fracture

Back
Top Bottom