Help! My hen is crowing!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sophiaflute, Jun 8, 2019.

1. sophiaflute

sophiaflute In the Brooder

Jun 8, 2019
    New Jersey
    Dear Chicken Lovers,
    I have a 3 year old Americauna hen. About two weeks ago she started to crow. I recently bought a new large coop, built a 20x8 enclosed run, (making them no longer free range) and added 11 nine week old pullets to the flock. I was sure it was one of the little ones crowing, and I was camping out most mornings in the hopes of catching him in the act. This afternoon I witnessed my 3 yr old Henrietta crow like a rooster! She's always been the quiet type, an introvert too and doesn't have an aggressive bone in her body. Neighbors are noticing and not pleased. We love her but need her to stop. Any tips? Is she stressed? IMG_2997.JPG

2. littlepip

littlepip Songster

Sep 1, 2018
    Minnesota
    Does it sound like a rooster, or is it more of a distressed sound?

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Can you get a video of her doing it? Often this allows to consider not just the bird, but all that is going on around it that may be contributing to the behaviour

aart and Sequel like this.
  4. sophiaflute

Jun 8, 2019
    New Jersey
    The crowing began within a week of us introducing a new coop, run, and 11 pullets. It is not a distressed call, but a textbook crow "cock-a-doodle-do." She usually does it in the very early morning, and I was shocked to hear it at 4pm and catch her in the act. I'll try for a video.

5. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Free Ranging

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    Sounds a little weird, but I think adding new chicks can trigger weird changes in some hens. My head hen had no spur growth for 2 years. Then we added new chicks and she began growing spurs to about 1/2" and has had them ever since.

6. chrissynemetz

chrissynemetz Free Ranging

Dec 19, 2013
    Olathe Colorado
    I'm wondering if it's just the stress of everything new all at once. Stress really can do weird things. If that's the cause I would think it would stop once she gets used to the new coop and roommates :confused:

Sequel likes this.
  7. ChooksNQuilts

ChooksNQuilts Free Ranging

Nov 26, 2017
    Southwest Idaho
    Some hens will crow. Is she still laying?
    I heard that if they somehow get damage or a problem with their ovary (chickens only use one) they may start to exhibit male behaviors.

My neighbors EE hen used to crow but she was still laying.
    I think eventually she toned it down and stopped.
    I’m sorry you’re neighbors don’t like it but perhaps you can get video of her and prove you don’t have a rooster.
    I use silicon earplugs to deal with my rooster.
    Also, perhaps giving them some free eggs might help?

8. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Are you under ordinances regarding g poultry keeping? If so, do they prohibit roosters or do they prohibit "crowing birds"?

9. Pekin747

Pekin747 Songster

Feb 20, 2019
    Ireland
    I've heard if the hen hasnt layed a while and feels stressed they can crow but it wont be as loud as a rooster it will sound almost stressed

10. sophiaflute

Jun 8, 2019
    New Jersey
    I haven't thought of that. I actually think we are allowed to keep roosters, but with a permit. And I always assumed it was because of the crowing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: