1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! My hens have got lopsided chests?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ^_^ChickenCrew^_^, Mar 6, 2009.

1. ^_^ChickenCrew^_^

^_^ChickenCrew^_^ Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2009
    Hi, Recently, I have noticed my hens have lopsides chests.[​IMG] I have four hens. Can anyone help me find out why they are lopsided? Two of them are laying normal eggs.
    Thanks [​IMG]

2. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    That would be their crop. The crop is located on one side of the breast only. it holds the food until the body is ready to process it. This is completely normal. The crop should fill during the day and empty at night. By morning they should be normal again. Hope this helps.

3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

They're fine. It's the crop (food storage organ similar to human stomachs).

4. ^_^ChickenCrew^_^

^_^ChickenCrew^_^ Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2009
    Thank you so much.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

I think this freaks everyone out the first time they see it on a chicken. I thought mine chick had a tumor and I was certain he would die because of it.

6. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    It is so funny, in retrospect, how folks react the first time they see this! [​IMG]
    I did the same thing.... [​IMG]

7. Kesha

Kesha Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2009
    Stafford, VA
    Holey crap!!! I just put a post on raising chicks about the same thing. Wow I thought something was wrong as well. We are first time chicken owners and mine are almost 4 weeks old.

Thanks guys for the info. I can stop crying now I guess.... [​IMG]

8. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    I did it too!! The first time they dust bathed with their wing out, I thought they were having spasms and would die, lol.

Welcome to the wonderful world of chickens!!

9. MrMcGregor

MrMcGregor New Egg

Dec 5, 2012
    Phew! Just noticed my boss hen had a lopsided chest too! I ran inside to check it out on BYC. Quite relieved now. Thanks for the info.

Interesting the things you learn about chickens when you start keeping them....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by