Help!... My Isa Brown stopped laying eggs and is lethargic

Fantasia

In the Brooder
May 26, 2017
Hi! I was wondering if anyone could help me. My isa brown hen stopped laying eggs about four weeks ago. She has a very enlarged vent that is kind of hard and she has runny droppings. One of our other hens had the same thing this winter and passed away :( She still eats and drinks but she stands around and it looks painful to poop. We have been giving her a bath in warm water and Epsom salt and vitamin water. She free ranges almost every day, her bedding is straw and she eats laying hen powdered food. Any ideas what this could be? Possible treatments?

Can you post a picture of her vent area? Can you get a disposable glove, and feel inside her vent with a finger for a stuck egg? You might want to look up pictures of a prolapsed vent to see if that might be a problem. Is she drinking well? How are her droppings?

Can you post a picture of her vent area? Can you get a disposable glove, and feel inside her vent with a finger for a stuck egg? You might want to look up pictures of a prolapsed vent to see if that might be a problem. Is she drinking well? How are her droppings?
Thank you, I can get a picture of her vent tomorrow, her droppings are runny, I will also try the glove thing tomorrow how will I know if there is a stuck egg?

If there is no egg, you should not feel anything except for soft tissue. Sometimes stuck eggs can have hard shells or soft membranes.

If she's walking/standing a little like a penguin ... she's probably egg bound ... feel around as aggressive suggests and if there an egg, gently apply some KY around the vent and administer some sodium bicarbonate orally

[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]
Here are a few pictures

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    266.2 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    490.1 KB · Views: 40
If she's walking/standing a little like a penguin ... she's probably egg bound ... feel around as aggressive suggests and if there an egg, gently apply some KY around the vent and administer some sodium bicarbonate orally
Ok thanks I'll try that also what is KY?

Back
Top Bottom