Help! My mixed flock has been eating 4-grain scratch for 4 weeks.

Ecalix

Chirping
Apr 24, 2021
Miami, Florida
I’ve been away for about 4 wks and my dad picked up their feed this time and actually got them 4-grain scratch and not feed. 😖😖😖 They are free roaming all day so they do have access to grass and bugs and they get fruits and veggies daily too. However before I left 4 of the hens were laying and as of 2 days ago they have stopped. I’m guessing their lack of complete nutrition could be the issue? Or do they slow down Laying during the winter? (I’m in Florida so it’s not cold here)
Ultimately my question is what can I do to balance the scratch so it is a complete meal for them? He got 3- 50 lb bags of scratch.

Attachments

• 0AF5B2CA-584F-4C9A-9D61-58498F3BA70E.jpeg
    0AF5B2CA-584F-4C9A-9D61-58498F3BA70E.jpeg
    397.3 KB · Views: 21
  • CF169052-9F97-4A9F-BDEE-128DF96E182E.jpeg
    CF169052-9F97-4A9F-BDEE-128DF96E182E.jpeg
    353.5 KB · Views: 5
He got 3 bags of it? Ugh... you can't possibly return the unopened ones, can you? You'd need to be supplementing a lot of protein (like double what it currently has) plus additional vitamins and minerals, none of which are listed on the tag for you to reference. Really not worth the headache IMO and you could use the refund (if you can return it) to pay for actual feed.

If your hens are more than 18 months or so then they may have stopped laying due to oncoming molt, or just reduced daylight hours.

He got 3 bags of it? Ugh... you can't possibly return the unopened ones, can you? You'd need to be supplementing a lot of protein (like double what it currently has) plus additional vitamins and minerals, none of which are listed on the tag for you to reference. Really not worth the headache IMO and you could use the refund (if you can return it) to pay for actual feed.

If your hens are more than 18 months or so then they may have stopped laying due to oncoming molt, or just reduced daylight hours.
Can’t return unfortunately.

I hadn’t considered molting. That’s probably what’s coming for them.

I’ve been away for about 4 wks and my dad picked up their feed this time and actually got them 4-grain scratch and not feed. 😖😖😖 They are free roaming all day so they do have access to grass and bugs and they get fruits and veggies daily too. However before I left 4 of the hens were laying and as of 2 days ago they have stopped. I’m guessing their lack of complete nutrition could be the issue? Or do they slow down Laying during the winter? (I’m in Florida so it’s not cold here)
Ultimately my question is what can I do to balance the scratch so it is a complete meal for them? He got 3- 50 lb bags of scratch.
That stinks! I hope you get it sorted out soon.

I wouldn't want to store it too long, but since you mention feeding other treats (+ the birds free range) I'd cut out all the other treats (fruits & veggies) and then keep this as the sole treat ration to use it up. Make sure to feed a quality, higher protein feed (18-20%) to help make up for the lack of protein and vitamins from the scratch.

They'll molt even in warmer climates, because they need to replace the old and worn out feathers. So they've probably stopped laying because of the molt. You can feed them scrambled eggs (which they'll love!) for extra protein. See if you can sell the extra bags to somebody local, but either way get real feed and feed the chickens that, and keep the scratch for treats if you can't sell it. It's not ground so it should last longer than feed, just make sure the opened scratch is in a tightly sealed container (not the bag, get a bin/bucket or something that seals tightly).

Well your dad's intentions were good. The bright side; you won't have to buy scratch for a loooooong time. Changes in weather and molting throws off their laying production for a little while, then they adjust and go back to production as usual.

Back
Top Bottom