Help my neighbor said my chickens are being loud :(

When we had the extra patch of land from our local council (was extra garden at the end of 2 neighbours gardens not being used and overgrown with weeds 6ft high) and when we approached them (the houses landlords) we outlined it was intended to be used for growing vegetables "oh and rehousing our chickens up there" so it's on record and noise 'restrictions' or not, the authorities are aware ;)
From time to time we've sent the kids to our 4 nearest neighbours with some eggs and not one noise complaint - even about the noisy 'egg songs' :duc
Rather annoying though, that given your girls egg cycle timings it can't be the same time every day so your neighbours complaint isn't 'it's our mealtime or watching our favourite show' related surely ?

Rather annoying though, that given your girls egg cycle timings it can't be the same time every day so your neighbours complaint isn't 'it's our mealtime or watching our favourite show' related surely ?

I think you kinda hit the nail on the head there. I think it really boils down to -when- they are singing the egg song. Time wise. For some reason they keep laying later and later in the day?!?! She called me at about 5:30pm tonight like it was dusky out and sure enough I opened my back door and I could hear the egg song going on the one noisy hen, and 2-3 others. In Oct/Nov they were laying earlier in the AM from 8-noon ish. And I think neighbor probably had the AM news on or was at work etc and never heard them. But when my hens are laying at dinner time and everyone is home, the TV isn’t on, and their kitchen/dining room faces our property closest to the coop. 🙄 yay.

Never heard a word from the neighbor till recently. About the end of Dec I saw her while I was getting mail she said, “I heard the hens making a noise a few days ago (I’m assuming it was a egg song also). That’s the first I have heard them since you got them.” She wasn’t furious tonight when she called, but she certainly sounded annoyed. She just said “Is it possible for you to go to check on your chickens they are screaming and making a racket.” Oy! I promptly locked them in the coop and told them we need a game plan to keep Cherri happy!

That’s one of the reasons why I was wondering if there is some way to adapt them to lay at a certain time?

And thank you all so much for all your advise! I certainly couldn’t do it without you all. Everything you said is becoming part of my game plan.

I certainly will try to find a nice day to go chat with her and ask her to honestly share how she feels.

I will certainly try to be better at giving her eggs, one day I did give her a doz. I have a few EE she loved the green eggs.

Im pescatarian so no chicken eating for me, (personally have less digestive issues eating this way) So culling is not a option. Plus of course “Dumpling” the loudest egg song screamer is the loudest but also has the most outgoing endearing food hogging personality 😂.

I am going to formulate a back up plan, to see if I can find a friend who could house her...if push comes to shove.

And my long term goal is to live in a more rural location. But we were newly married and broke, and just got what we could afford (a bank forcloure at the edge of town). I will have my country cabin one day!

I certainly will try to find a nice day to go chat with her and ask her to honestly share how she feels.

I will certainly try to be better at giving her eggs, one day I did give her a doz. I have a few EE she loved the green eggs.

Best of luck, hopefully she'll be understanding about the noise factor (and bribery never hurts). Glad that you have a fallback plan with a friend who could possibly take her if push comes to shove.

@MIgardengal , I also live WAY U.P. north in MI. In a subdivision, and like you we can have chickens (no Roo) and they can't be a nuisance. When I was thinking of getting my girls I went to each neighbor that might be affected and asked them if they would have a problem if I got the girls and neither said they would care. But I put the coop inside the garage to reduce the noise... the girls are pretty quiet when they are outside, and I have two of them that get really loud with their bragging when laying (one gets loud when she can't find the other one who is trying to lay in peace) I am planning a garden area for the girls that will incorporate plants/shrubs and trees that will also minimize the noise. And when my girls start to lay consistently (they are just starting) I will gift my neighbors with some eggs also just as a good will gesture. I do let my girls free range (partially), they are in a fenced in yard, and my neighbor stops by every once in a while to visit them.
Hope things work out for you.

@MIgardengal , I also live WAY U.P. north in MI. In a subdivision, and like you we can have chickens (no Roo) and they can't be a nuisance.

May I ask what city you live in? I would love to see photos of your set up.

That’s a fantastic idea, we do have a garage. Will have to mention it to my hubby, he is the king of the garage 😂.

Back
Top Bottom