Help! My pekin eats until she can't walk.

My pekin is also still peeping at 8 weeks old...does that have anything to do with gender?
From all i have heard, since i have Muscovy and they don't quack, that ducks will Quack before drakes and peeping at 8 weeks may mean you have a drake , when you pick this duck up does it quack loudly or sound raspy?

I just picked the duck up and it didn't let out a loud quack...it made this low scratchy "yep, yep, yep" sound...sounded like it was losing it's voice.

I have just two. One pekin and one rouen. They are the same age, 7 weeks ( I think). I got them from rural king. The pekin was supposed to be a runner...lol. .now i'm wondering if the rouen is actually a rouen or maybe a mallard...lol. The rouen has a deep voice...sounds like it honks sometimes and clicks other times, never really sounds like a true quack. It sounds different than the pekin, It "talks" more often, but both don't makes noises a lot. I thought it was a hen, but now it's head is turning green and it's getting greyish looking feathers by the wings. Maybe a drake too? My pekin is SUPER HUGE! It is already almost 2 feet long from chest to tail tip. It's neck is about the diameter of a 4 inch pipe ( for lack of a better illustration). I was told by a friend that it could be a jumbo pekin. What is the difference between the regular pekin and the jumbo pekin? Also, if both my ducks are drakes will they get along ok without any hens?

Last edited:
I have just two. One pekin and one rouen. They are the same age, 7 weeks ( I think). I got them from rural king. The pekin was supposed to be a runner...lol. .now i'm wondering if the rouen is actually a rouen or maybe a mallard...lol. The rouen has a deep voice...sounds like it honks sometimes and clicks other times, never really sounds like a true quack. I thought it was a hen, but now it's head is turning green and it's getting greyish looking feathers by the wings. Maybe a drake too? My pekin is SUPER HUGE! It is already almost 2 feet long from chest to tail tip. It's neck is about the diameter of a 4 inch pipe ( for lack of a better illustration). I was told by a friend that it could be a jumbo pekin. What is the difference between the regular pekin and the jumbo pekin? Also, if both my ducks are drakes will get along ok without any hens?
They will get along with out ducks, some members do keep a drake only flock. Sounds like you do have a jumbo Pekin so main thing you want to do is not let him get over weight, they were actually breed as meat ducks so they grow big fast but can develop leg problems so try to keep snacks at min. and give him pleanty of room to walk around and forage and also swim since this is good exercise, but don't let him jump down from the pool give him ramps, steps etc. Is you other duck large too? Rouens get pretty large, mallards small.

I have a doc appt now, but I will for sure post pics of them later on today
big_smile.png
I do hope they are both drakes!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom