Help my Rocky roo, PLEASE!!*UPDATE crop impaction*, Rocky's gone

crtrlovr, I am at work trying not to cry. I wish I could have helped you more. I am sorry, so very sorry.
Perhaps you can go into your 1st post and edit the caption. To make help available or more apparent to other forum members who use the search method. Try to make it something someone would put in the search feature if they didnt know what was wrong and were looking for help. That way, he can be honored by helping other chickens. Just a thought. Again, I am sorry. :aww

Quote:
You and everyone else who posted with advice or information have no idea how much I appreciate every bit that was offered. Although sadly I didn't know how to save him, the information did cause me to narrow down what the problem was, I just didn't realize in time to help my boy. I hated to lose him, but if I have to deal with anything like this in the future and am successful in saving a life, it will be a tribute to my sweet little Rocky guy. Thank you again for your thoughtfulness. ss

I am so sorry to hear about your roo.
How do you know if a crop is impacted? Why does grass impact a crop? I do not mean to hijack your thread, but I am hoping to learn from this situation. My hen is acting very strangley- she is eating but is losing weight? We recently moved their run to a very grassy area? Can this be the problem? Aren't free ranging birds SUPPOSED to eat grass?

Quote:
You're asking lots of good questions. Wish I had some good answers...
hmm.png
Rocky was freerange during the day, put into the coop for sleeping at night. He & the others always have fresh water both inside the coop and in the run, an occasional toss of scratch maybe 2-3 X a week if it's not overly warm, near daily treats of romaine lettuce and/or salad mixes w/o iceberg lettuce, fresh spinach, broccoli coleslaw, tomatoes, etc. (stuff like that) and layer pellets always available in the coop. Rocky & all the others ate (and the rest still eat) grass, but I'm guessing that Rocky ate a lot of grass and it didn't have time to be ground by the gizzard in order to pass through his digestive tract. They also have access to grit & sand in my yard. Rocky was still eating right up until the next to the last day. I didn't realize the poor guy was starving to death with a full crop. It does sound like it could be your bird's problem... check her crop and see if it feels very firm and is larger than normal for her. There are lots of posts about it, and some remedy suggestions such as bread with olive oil, straight olive oil, yogurt, flushing the crop (make sure you know what you're doing if you try this), etc. I hope you find a solution that works for you.

some more general info:
crop stasis is where the "muscles" of the crop that move the feed through slows down considerably or stops altogether.
An impaction (most always involving strings of grass and hay or such which bind up the crop contents) prevent the contents from moving out whether or not crop stasis is involved (and it will often involve both) >you can see more info at the link below
http://dlhunicorn.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=emergencies&action=display&num=1161893898

Yes chickens are meant to eat grass but if you watch them in the field they will take only the tininest nips from the very tips of young shoots preferably... when you have limited forage area or when there are lots of dead strands (or if a backyard you have recently mowed and there are clippings lying around still from that) being the curious creatures they are they will pick it up and once in the mouth it is almost automatic that they swallow it... this is how the trouble begins. This is why I use no hay nor straw as bedding material (altho most do and rarely have problems my birds are pets so I go to extreme measures in prevention of problems!)
Do not leaves grass clippings after mowing in your yard if your birds are going to free range there...
Do not give your birds grass/weeds/dandelion greens etc that you have plucked or cut up for them... the size is always bigger/longer than the tiny nips they take themselves while ranging.

ETA: Actually the primary danger from impaction/stasis is dehydration.

Last edited:
Thank you for the link. I will try flushing her crop when I get home (please please let her still be there). I will research the procedure for flushing. If this is not her problem, can I do more harm than good?

Back
Top Bottom