Help my rooster is eating himself!!

Quote:
I think I would leave the comb as well. Just pay close attention to it. If it begins to look like it's giving him trouble then re evaluate the situation.

edited to say: I have seen other posts where people put Bag Balm on combs to keep then from getting frost bit.

Last edited:
Doesn't seem to be bothering him so I will leave it and see how he does later in the winter. Hopefully that will stay ok!
Thank you all so much for helping me!
big_smile.png

i thought i read on here a few day ago about someone using "Carmex" to stop the hens picking..i wonder if u could put it on his waddles?..best of luck!, Wendy

Plain ol' flour is about the best blood-stop powder there is, sugar can be used too and it's said to have antiseptic properties.

Have you got it done?

I've been trying to talk myself into giving up my beautiful BO's as the roo and hens are getting frostbit combs and I was unsure about the dubbing. After seeing that link and spending every day w/the BO's I cannot give them up, especially my roo!

I'm dubbing but following the moon cycle, full moon is declining now so by this weekend they'll be dubbed and I'll use flour. I've got two pairs of Fiskar's sharp scissors I hide from everyone as I sew and value a great pair of scissors just as I value my BO beauties.

I think I'll do it myself as they know me and it'll lessen the stress than if I had another person around they wouldn't know. I've got a heater in their double coop but the drain on the outside plug in's for five coops plus the plug in for the vehicle kept causing the switch to go off so I've had to keep the coop heaters at halfway instead of raising the heat when its severely cold.

Next year I'll have the wiring done properly as I don't see any real decline in coops/flocks but our power gets knocked out in the winters so dubbing the BO's would be the right thing to do.

The rest of the flocks have smaller coops so are doing well.

Dubbing the comb will allow fowl to tuck their head under the wing on freezing nights, also beneficial to keeping eyes and ears from infection and insect (mosquitos). You can also put a small amount of VetRX or Vicks salve under the wing and the chicken will breathe easier. It is not nessasary to cut the comb flush with the skull, just make a smooth cut from back to front 1/2" above the skull. Make sure the zodiac signs are in the lower body so the fowl won't bleed and use SHARP sissors. The sissors will cut smoothly and not cause bleeding if they are sharp. Best cut comb and wattles at night when chickens are still and quiet. Freezing combs cause a lot more distress and pain for the chickens than cutting the comb does.

Back
Top Bottom