1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help, my run STINKS!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LoneCowboy, Aug 17, 2008.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    We've had about 3 days of rain. Approx 3" everything is soggy boggy. Problem is, one of my runs stinks just horrible! Worse than the pigs. I have 4 runs total and 3 are just fine. This one has had a tarp over it to shade the chickens so I took that off to get it some sun, but WOW! it's bad. What can I do?

2. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Eeeek, good luck. How about adding some sand/gravel into it to give better drainage and filter when washing out the run. Could wood ashes help sweeten it?

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Get some Stall Dri and spread it around. Sure helps on mine.

4. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    What is stall dry? I have sweet PDZ is it the same?

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I think they're similar, but I'm not sure. Stall Dri is a mixture of clay and DE. I get mine at TSC and Orschelns.

6. I*Eat*Chickens*Yum

I*Eat*Chickens*Yum Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  7. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I think one of those stall drying things is dangerous to chickens. Am I wrong? Someone correct me if I am, but I thought there was a thread about something like that a while ago.

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I think Stall-Dri does have one that isn't safe to use for chickens, but it isn't the one I use.....it's fine for chickens. There's even a picture of a chicken on the front.

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Lots of DE.

10. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    I think I would let the sun bake it for a few days and see it it gets better. Probably just to much rain and shade. I am sure it will get better after it dries up some.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by