FirstTimeDuckMom

Chirping
Apr 30, 2023
Hello everyone! I have my first ducks, two Pekins approx. 6-8 weeks. Judging by their voices at this stage, we’re pretty sure they’re a male and a female. The one we think is female is named Ernie and for the past few days she has been acting off. Much less talkative and animated, just stands around, and will stand a while before laying down. Not sure if lethargic is an accurate description, just abnormally calm. Drinking water fine but doesn’t seem interested in feed (MannaPro duckling starter grower), but gobbles up peas and mealys. Much gentler, just wants to rest her head in my palm and seems to enjoy me gently massage her beak. Seems to be pooping much less than normal, has very clear and watery diarrhea with a green tinge. Nostrils are clear (I've always been able to hear her breathe, assuming this is normal.) No sneezing or odd breathing that I’ve noticed. She gets water time every day, and will dunk a bit but preening much less, again mostly just stands there afterwards. Biggest red flag: both wing tips have been bloody. I’ve tried to read up on blood feathers but everything I’ve found has been unclear :( I also read this could be a symptom of a viral infection? Please help! I’m feeling so helpless and guilty for not being prepared for this, and not knowing how to help her. Thanks in Advance

Are you able to take a short clear video of her and upload it to YouTube?
The video which includes the bloody wing tips.

Poor ducky… yes pictures will be helpful. A pic of her poop you said it has green in it is it a bright fluorescent type green? You can give some vitamin water or poultry probiotics in her water for starters . If she’s not eating she needs the extra nutrients

Poor ducky… yes pictures will be helpful. A pic of her poop you said it has green in it is it a bright fluorescent type green? You can give some vitamin water or poultry probiotics in her water for starters . If she’s not eating she needs the extra nutrients
I will get a pic when I can! Yes, fluorescent is a good way to describe it. I just got her some probiotics and electrolytes today! Thanks for confirming that was a good choice.
I should also mention they are still inside because I'm in WI and we haven't had many warm enough days lately, and the nights are still dipping into the 20s and 30s. We got them an outdoor coop last weekend and have kept them outside on the sunny/warmer days we've had this past week.

I will get a pic when I can! Yes, fluorescent is a good way to describe it. I just got her some probiotics and electrolytes today! Thanks for confirming that was a good choice.
I should also mention they are still inside because I'm in WI and we haven't had many warm enough days lately, and the nights are still dipping into the 20s and 30s. We got them an outdoor coop last weekend and have kept them outside on the sunny/warmer days we've had this past week.
I just wonder why her wing tips were bleeding,, was it the tips of both wings ? I’ve had ducks with bloody wingtips from an injury not an illness. So perhaps the bleeding is unrelated to the watery poop and the lack of appetite. Has she eaten any of her regular duck food today? You can try making mash with some ( just mix some of her food with warm water enough to make it the consistency of oatmeal and give it for a few hours, then take it away because bacteria starts to grow in mash after a few hours. Is she showing any other symptoms?

I just wonder why her wing tips were bleeding,, was it the tips of both wings ? I’ve had ducks with bloody wingtips from an injury not an illness. So perhaps the bleeding is unrelated to the watery poop and the lack of appetite. Has she eaten any of her regular duck food today? You can try making mash with some ( just mix some of her food with warm water enough to make it the consistency of oatmeal and give it for a few hours, then take it away because bacteria starts to grow in mash after a few hours. Is she showing any other symptoms?
Thanks for the suggestion! I thought it was just an injury at first, too, but it's both wings and has repeatedly stopped and started over the past 2-3 days :( Seems to be mostly dried blood now. I read that a viral infection can lead to a thinning of the quill, making them more susceptible to crack? But it has been difficult to find any consistent information. When I peek in at her, I've seen her nibbling here and there, but not nearly has much as she had been. No other symptoms (aside from my post at the beginning of the thread.)

Last edited:
I'd like to see the wings for one. Once you upload it to Vimeo or youtube then copy and paste it here.

Have you been giving your ducklings any type of niacin?
Been giving them peas every day, just ordered some Niacin drops too -- getting delivered tomorrow. Will work on the video. In the meantime, I attached a not-so-great pic that I took for my husband yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_4209.jpg
    IMG_4209.jpg
    503.2 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom