Help! My wife is mad at me for feeding the chickens pizza!

Would you feed your chickens pizza?

• Never

Votes: 162 39.9%
  • A little bit at a time, but very infrequently

Votes: 112 27.6%
  • A little bit at a time, whenever we have it

Votes: 100 24.6%
  • All the pizza all the time

Votes: 32 7.9%

• Total voters
Pics

exactlyzac

Songster
Oct 20, 2019
Chicago
Can someone please help me convince her that it's okay for the girls to have fun table scraps?

Everything in moderation right?!

EDIT: Our girls usually get much smaller quantities of veggie scraps, but this was a couple of weeks ago on New Years Day and all the girls were fine šŸ™ƒ

20210112_151725.jpg

Last edited:
My chickens rarely get leftover pizza because there's rarely leftover pizza....
But they did Subway on Tuesday...

(My chickens eat and enjoy all leftovers all the time, I just have to remove the leftover from any styrofoam containers because they eat that, too. Every Sunday night the 2 refrigerators in the control room at work get emptied out and goes in a bucket for my chickens. The only things they don't eat are iceberg lettuce, raw onions, lemons & limes and some pickles.)(I am not saying it's healthy but I've never seen one with issues from it.)

Last edited:
Their health and productivity depend on their overall diet. A layer feed is a complete diet for them, and when you feed them extra junk food they eat less of their balanced food obviously.
Acceptable table scraps are the veggie scraps, lettuce, beet greens, peas, squash (my girls are crazy for spaghetti squash) you get the idea.

That said, a few pieces of pizza wonā€™t kill anybody. They may get diarrhea. I have a pet rooster that is somewhere between 50-70% blind and he struggles to eat actual chicken food because itā€™s hard to see and his aim is shit. So I feed him no-no foods often like bread and cereal because itā€™s easy for me to hand feed to him quickly and his aim doesnā€™t have to be perfect to get ahold of it. But I realize that his life may be significantly shorter because of his diet.
I do not feed my hens the way I feed my Kyle.

Back
Top Bottom