Help! My wife is mad at me for feeding the chickens pizza!

Would you feed your chickens pizza?

• Never

Votes: 162 39.9%
  • A little bit at a time, but very infrequently

Votes: 112 27.6%
  • A little bit at a time, whenever we have it

Votes: 100 24.6%
  • All the pizza all the time

Votes: 32 7.9%

• Total voters
Our chickens enjoy pizza and we used to give them the occasional leftover piece of homemade pizza. That is until we had one get an impacted crop last year. I never knew for sure, but always wondered about the bread possibly gumming up in there. So they almost never get pizza anymore. I did give them a piece a couple weeks ago but I tore it up pretty small first.

I mean, I give my dogs pizza crusts sometimes.
Anything that makes it into the compost makes it to the chickens.
But I also wouldn't do it like this.
I have a flock of like 20 birds and were I intent on feeding pizza (I'm not, we eat it all ourselves thanks) I would throw maybe 1-3 slices out for the whole flock depending on slice size. I'd probably chop 1-2 slices into a couple dozen small pieces like 1/2" and scatter them. Tops.
This is just too much 'za for so few birds and my concern would be sour crop and diarrhea. Not worth causing a health problem almost on purpose like this.

A little pizza once in a blue moon won't kill your flock. XD This was not a little pizza.

Can someone please help me convince her that it's okay for the girls to have fun table scraps?

Everything in moderation right?!

EDIT: Our girls usually get much smaller quantities of veggie scraps, but this was a couple of weeks ago on New Years Day and all the girls were fine 🙃

View attachment 2498991
Its a chicken
Of course you can feed them pizza

I’d say a little is fine like the others said that was not a little bit they will probably be fine.
Waste not want not, right?

... but why not iceberg lettuce? Is that bad for them??
It can be if they eat to much it can give them diarrhea. A little won’t hurt them though. It also has basically no benefit. Romaine is a good choice though. Same for reptiles. I’ve had turtles my whole life and I was really surprised how similar their diet is to chickens!

It’s likely no worse for a chicken to eat pizza than a human to eat pizza. :p

Yes, their salt tolerance is a bit lower, but they also probably get more exercise.
However, we are entirely different species with entirely different digestive systems. While humans can process pizza without issues, chickens will have a harder time and can leave a different affect

Back
Top Bottom