Help! My wife is mad at me for feeding the chickens pizza!

Would you feed your chickens pizza?

• Never

Votes: 162 39.7%
  • A little bit at a time, but very infrequently

Votes: 112 27.5%
  • A little bit at a time, whenever we have it

Votes: 101 24.8%
  • All the pizza all the time

Votes: 33 8.1%

• Total voters
Pics
I love your rugs and meditation cushion! But yeah....no to pizza. TOO much salt and useless carbs. I personally wouldn't feed pizza to my girls. I'm with your wife on this one. :)

I have fed hundreds of chickens table scraps, including pizza on occasion, in the over half century of having them and have never had any issues. Have never had any chicken that liked cucumbers though. Somewhere my Grandpa Shook is smiling because he wouldn't them either and I recall him saying, "why would I eat something that even a chicken won't eat".

Can someone please help me convince her that it's okay for the girls to have fun table scraps?

Everything in moderation right?!

EDIT: Our girls usually get much smaller quantities of veggie scraps, but this was a couple of weeks ago on New Years Day and all the girls were fine 🙃

View attachment 2498991
I give my chickens any and all scraps except chicken. When I clean out the fridge or the pantry my chickens think that it is Christmas. My birds free range all day and are very happy. The only health concerns that my birds have is an occasional need for deworming.
I say let them eat what they want!

If I was an “influencer”, my goal would be to make “sustainable” eggs the new “organic”.

The most sustainable thing you can do with food scraps not suitable for human consumption is feed it to livestock.

In my dream, green-minded folks pay extra for those eggs at the farmer’s market.:cool:

While it may not be nutritious, like the guy said, it's a treat for once in awhile! We don't even give our hens a lot of any table scraps, but do only occasionally. Ours for example love pasta salad, spaghetti, and potato salad, but we only give those things now and then. They're very healthy, and everyone deserves some special treats once in awhile!:)
I was commenting on the salt. Personally I would never feed my chickens any foods that they really shouldn't be eating.
I'm not looking to start a fight with you.

Can someone please help me convince her that it's okay for the girls to have fun table scraps?

EDIT: Our girls usually get much smaller quantities of veggie scraps, but this was a couple of weeks ago on New Years Day and all the girls were fine 🙃

View attachment 2498991
My girls are like teenagers - they’ll eat whatever they see. They get pizza once in a blue moon. More apt to get fajitas or such instead tho. :)

View attachment 2498991

View attachment 2498991
Foods That You Should Not Feed To Chickens
In addition to the above, here are some foods that you should not feed to chickens:

• Avocado skin and pits contain persin, which is toxic to chickens.
  • Avoid citrus juice and skins.
  • Don’t give chickens any edible containing salt, sugar, coffee, or liquor.
  • Uncooked raw or dried beans contain hemaglutin, which is poisonous to chickens.
  • Raw green potato skins contain solanine, which is poisonous to chickens.
  • Large quantities of onions can be harmful to chickens, affecting their red blood cells, causing hemolytic anemia or Heinz anemia.
  • Avoid feeding or free-ranging chickens specific unshelled nuts of walnuts (Juglans spp.), black walnuts (Juglans nigrs), hazelnuts (Corylus), and pecans (Carya illinoinensis).
  • Don’t give your chicken residents leaves of rhubarb, potato, or tomato plants.
Okay in Limited Amounts
Spinach can interfere with calcium absorption.
  • Iceberg lettuce has little nutritional value and can cause diarrhea if too much is ingested.
  • Rice, pasta and bread should also be limited, especially white starches.

Foods That You Should Not Feed To Chickens
In addition to the above, here are some foods that you should not feed to chickens:

• Avocado skin and pits contain persin, which is toxic to chickens.
  • Avoid citrus juice and skins.
  • Don’t give chickens any edible containing salt, sugar, coffee, or liquor.
  • Uncooked raw or dried beans contain hemaglutin, which is poisonous to chickens.
  • Raw green potato skins contain solanine, which is poisonous to chickens.
  • Large quantities of onions can be harmful to chickens, affecting their red blood cells, causing hemolytic anemia or Heinz anemia.
  • Avoid feeding or free-ranging chickens specific unshelled nuts of walnuts (Juglans spp.), black walnuts (Juglans nigrs), hazelnuts (Corylus), and pecans (Carya illinoinensis).
  • Don’t give your chicken residents leaves of rhubarb, potato, or tomato plants.
Okay in Limited Amounts

• Spinach can interfere with calcium absorption.
  • Iceberg lettuce has little nutritional value and can cause diarrhea if too much is ingested.
  • Rice, pasta and bread should also be limited, especially white starches.

Back
Top Bottom