Help! My wife is mad at me for feeding the chickens pizza!

Would you feed your chickens pizza?

• Never

Votes: 162 39.9%
  • A little bit at a time, but very infrequently

Votes: 112 27.6%
  • A little bit at a time, whenever we have it

Votes: 100 24.6%
  • All the pizza all the time

Votes: 32 7.9%

• Total voters
Pics
A little bit as a treat once in a while should not be a problem. It's a treat, not a staple so Id say go for it, sparingly, but obviously watch out for onions, garlic, stuff that while we may love in a pizza, the chickens may not, or not do well with. I have a cockatoo who begs like a child when I eat pizza but at best may get a little scrap of a veggy or something, he don't be needin' no pepperoni, sausage, ham, etc etc. Id say same with the chickie poo's.

Worse case you can always put them on the pizza too!

Aaron

Can someone please help me convince her that it's okay for the girls to have fun table scraps?

Everything in moderation right?!

EDIT: Our girls usually get much smaller quantities of veggie scraps, but this was a couple of weeks ago on New Years Day and all the girls were fine 🙃

View attachment 2498991
With your wife on this one. Salty and bad for chickens. They will eat almost anything and cannot tell you when in pain. Further more. . . chop up items....Do not leave that carton as they will nibble on that too. They look healthy and quite beautiful. you, on the other hand need to learn about proper feeding for these beauties. You are welcome!!!!

Can someone please help me convince her that it's okay for the girls to have fun table scraps?

EDIT: Our girls usually get much smaller quantities of veggie scraps, but this was a couple of weeks ago on New Years Day and all the girls were fine 🙃

View attachment 2498991
My friends! The chickens got a special NewYears daytreat. A one off of all the pizza they want isn't going to do those chickens in! Yes it might give them diarrhea for a day. I vote it is okay as an occasional treat, it would have been better to have divided that much up and served two days. But I am pretty sure it did not permanent damage.. yes there are better choices but there is certainly better protein choices (to our way if thinking) than mouse or snake or frog but it does not hurt them. They are closer to wild than the average feral cat.

View attachment 2498991

View attachment 2498991
Here is a list of things that are not good for chickens - before I found it - I fed mine onions and citrus... say once every two weeks - did not seem to adversely affect them... but I have not fed them tomatoes, as I know they are the nightshade family... those go right onto the compost heap, so the tomato sauce might be problematic, but if its just a small amount, you are probably going to be ok. 😊

https://www.omlet.co.uk/guide/chickens/chicken_care/poisonous_plants_and_food/

I do that with my fisty rooster and then put him down and he puffs up and makes like a growl and eyes me up. He is so mad... Its hilarious! He is a Timmy Tough Guy hahaha
Both of my chickens don't like it when I hold them but Ratatouille is the one who scratches me A LOT puffs up her feathers and makes noises like I'm killing her but her sister Ratty Patty also doesn't like to be held but she still lets me

I’m more curious about the rug in your run🤦‍♀️
Why would you put a rug in the run? Isn’t it hard to keep clean?
in very cold weather I have a corner of my run under the coop where I pile straw so they can keep warm, but everywhere else it’s sand. I have to say I have never seen a rug in a chicken coop/run.

Back
Top Bottom