Help naming my hatchery

CapeFearChickenLady

In the Brooder
Feb 7, 2018
Wilmington, NC
I can’t come up with anything that I love. Some background that may help. I sell eggs for eating and hatching (silkies and silkie cross), I will eventually be selling chicks when I’m completely satisfied with breeding. I am really nerdy and weird. I am trying to think of something that could be recognized by other nerds but will not be too obscure for regular folks. I am not peppy and “bright”, think Wednesday/Mortician Addams and you’ve got my aesthetic lol. I love puns.
I thought about “The Family Business” (a refferance to Supernatural) but I’m not 100%.
Throw your best nerdy, punny, gothy, punky names at me. And go!

Cape Fear Silkies.
Wednesday's Silkies.

Is there a market for tiny silkie eating eggs?
Silkies aren't the most productive breed. Focus on selling hatching eggs and eat the few remaining eggs yourself.
There surely isn't a market for silkie cross eggs or chicks. People want purity.
Will you have separate breeding pens for each variety so there will be reliable color results? Keep in mind that there can't be variety/breed mixing for 3 weeks before collecting eggs for hatching.

Last edited:
Oubliette Hatchery (I just love the sound of that word)

Labyrinth Hatchery (Pick your poison Pan's Labyrinth or the Bowie classic)

Ginger Snaps Hatchery (Great vampire movie)

The Craft Hatchery (Campy but fun movie from the 90s)

Mad World Hatchery (Roundabout Donnie Darko reference)

Dark City Silkies (Another movie from the 90s - really I have seen movies this decade!)

I do agree that silkies probably won't produce enough eggs if you want to sell eggs for eating. As for silkie crosses - I suspect you might be OK if you work on Sizzles. It is hard to compete with feed store chicks unless you can differentiate yourself with hard to find breeds or unusual colors/show quality.

Cape Fear Silkies.
Wednesday's Silkies.

Is there a market for tiny silkie eating eggs?
Silkies aren't the most productive breed. Focus on selling hatching eggs and eat the few remaining eggs yourself.
There surely isn't a market for silkie cross eggs or chicks. People want purity.
Will you have separate breeding pens for each variety so there will be reliable color results? Keep in mind that there can't be variety/breed mixing for 3 weeks before collecting eggs for hatching.

I have hens for just egg production and then my silkies. Large fowl and silkies and frizzles. Im aware of how to keep my silkies are pure. In my area I can sell Sizzles all day long, which are silkie crosses, so there is indeed a market. I’m not just starting out with this, just trying to come up with a name. But thanks.

Oubliette Hatchery (I just love the sound of that word)

Labyrinth Hatchery (Pick your poison Pan's Labyrinth or the Bowie classic)

Ginger Snaps Hatchery (Great vampire movie)

The Craft Hatchery (Campy but fun movie from the 90s)

Mad World Hatchery (Roundabout Donnie Darko reference)

Dark City Silkies (Another movie from the 90s - really I have seen movies this decade!)

I do agree that silkies probably won't produce enough eggs if you want to sell eggs for eating. As for silkie crosses - I suspect you might be OK if you work on Sizzles. It is hard to compete with feed store chicks unless you can differentiate yourself with hard to find breeds or unusual colors/show quality.
Those are all fun ideas! Your Craft suggestion has given me a few witchy ideas. I have LF for egg production and silkies and frizzles for breeding purposes.

Back
Top Bottom