Help: Need advice on Deworming

Sleek

Chirping
Aug 11, 2017
I have this 4 year old pet rooster . He has a chronic respiratory issue. And I noticed that he’s getting thinner and his face is pale than before. He eats and loves to drink a lot. I’m thinking of deworming him. His droppings are normal. But I’ve read somewhere that it causes stress. Should I deworm him or not?

Attachments

• E2963688-BB0F-4E3A-A152-2C87F588EE9B.jpeg
    E2963688-BB0F-4E3A-A152-2C87F588EE9B.jpeg
    525.3 KB · Views: 18
Your rooster looks like a Lord of the Rings character. I've read that very large combs on a chicken can get too heavy and cause breathing issues and make it hard to eat., how big is his comb?
Does his crop fill up at evening and is it empty in the morning?

Your rooster looks like a Lord of the Rings character. I've read that very large combs on a chicken can get too heavy and cause breathing issues and make it hard to eat., how big is his comb?
Does his crop fill up at evening and is it empty in the morning?
He used to have that problem with his comb. But a part of it already fell when he had a fight with my other roo. I think it’s lighter now. But I’m thinking to dub it too when things get normal.

His crop is rarely empty, because I always saw him pecking on feed during nighttime.

I’ve read that some chickens die from deworming. Is it true?

not sure. overdose maybe. I worm my chickens with dog's wormer pills, only double dose, as chickens digest it faster. so a half pill is for a 5 kg weight for dogs or 2,5 kg weight for chickens. never had any issue.

not sure. overdose maybe. I worm my chickens with dog's wormer pills, only double dose, as chickens digest it faster. so a half pill is for a 5 kg weight for dogs or 2,5 kg weight for chickens. never had any issue.

Thank you! The pill have is for roosters. I think the dosage is good. I’m just also worried that it add up the stress.

Thanks again! He currently have lysine and vitamins in his drink. Should I stop it?

Attachments

• 9528EE5F-13FB-489C-9C8F-708EDE79910E.jpeg
    9528EE5F-13FB-489C-9C8F-708EDE79910E.jpeg
    189.9 KB · Views: 10
I’ve read that some chickens die from deworming. Is it true?

Some chickens? How many exactly and what worming drug were they given and at what dose.
I don't doubt that if one searched hard enough one could find a report or even a few reports of chicken dying from being dewormed. If you then compare those numbers with the total number of chickens that have been dewormed without any ill effects, and bearing in mind how many of these successful worming treatments have saved the life of a chicken then it helps to put such alarmist stories into perspective.
If your rooster needs deworming then deworm him. Make sure you use a reputable and effective dewormer and at the right dose for the right period of time.

Back
Top Bottom