Help...need gaurd chicken dog

pistol123

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 16, 2011
oregon
Yesterday my good neighbors! two cats killed my pet bunny of three years and my prize Australope Roo and 4 hens in 30 minutes, if that was all it would be enough, but this morning out of the barn window came one of that one cat with a chick. Not sure what to do, but it may be time for a dog that is quite and will gaurd my chickens. I have had it. This was the 2 nd replacement of egg layers.....Help?

Last edited:
a golden a good dog and they don't go after the chicken we also have a jack russell but he like to go after the chickens won't kill them but does freak them out and i hate it but he does keep any other animals out

I'm building my coop in my goat pasture so my Great Pyrenees can guard the chickens as well as the goats. She is already bonded to them and it's only been a few weeks. All I had to do was hold one of the chicks so she could sniff and lick it's bum. Now they are hers!

Most Jack Russell kills cats
smile.png

I am proud to say that I got a border collie/ i think spaniel mix (they said she was a lab mix) from petfinder.com and she is great with the chickens. I am presently teaching her to round them up for me and she can come right up on them and not hurt them. Bunnies might be another story, she has eaten one baby, but I have also recently trained her to come when I call and she responds even when she is chasing a rabbit. Love her she is wonderful.
J

Back
Top Bottom