Help need info. on my new buff Orps....

kychic

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 14, 2010
kentucky
I bought my first flock and I am entirely new to raising chickens. I have 10 hens and 1 lucky rooster, they are 6 months old and I am mainly wanting the eggs. They have just began to lay and I have been getting about 2 eggs a day. I am wanting to know about how many eggs I should expect to get when they all start layiing, and if they are a good laying hen, if I should get a few more hens????? Any info would be so helpful...and also if they will keep laying this winter...

Well first of all
welcome-byc.gif
now for your question buff orpintons are excellent layers!!
smile.png
You can probably hope to get an average of eight eggs a day... In the wintertime they either stop or slow down on laying unless you have lights in your coop (chickens need 14 hours of light to lay)

Hope this helps!!
Maddie

P.S. This is a good website on breeds WWW.mypetchicken.com go to About chickens then breed list.

Last edited:
We use a heat light on a timer for the winter from six a.m. to 8 P.M (you can also use a normal house light) ... I normally give them a break in the fall no lights and they start to slow down there laying. Then speed back up there laying when i put the light in for the winter. The most important thing to remember about lighting your coop is make sure it's securly wired up if it falls it could start a fire! Not good.

Good Luck and have fun with your girls (and boy)!!
Maddie

Excellent!! I will do that first thing tomorrow!! Yes, I will definately make sure it is secure and safe. I have them a nice place in the barn so it wont be hard to just keep an extra light on for them. I will just need to get a timer. The opening from their run to their stall is not enclosed, should I close that off for winter? They will still have alot of space just no outside space if it is closed off.
thanks so much for your help.

No they can still go outside in the winter... They may not want to because of the snow but they can go out. As long as they can go in and out free choice they should be fine!

And your very welcome!!
big_smile.png

They will really appreciate outside access. Chickens are foragers and peckers, love to eat bugs and just about everything else. Why would you close them off?

I can't thank you enough for the helpful info. Hopefully my girls will do great and I made the right choice going with the orps!! Thinking about getting 8 more hens, I am wanting to get at least a dozen eggs a day. How many would you recomend ?
thnks again!!

The only reason I asked about closing off the run was because of the warmth in the coop, I am new at this and I was just worried bout my girls.

Back
Top Bottom