HELP!!! Need Pox Advice!!! Sooo many questions!!!

This was all really helpful! My first hen to get it is now completely recovered, the second of my four hens now has some small lesions on her comb, but now I know not to panic. I wonder if the birds shown on that site, with such advanced cases, were more stressed or less well-fed than the average "pet" chicken? Maybe our spoiled babies are better able to cope . . . yeah, I'll go with that. It's a good reason to keep spoiling them!
tongue.png

Quote:
One lesions was not pox--probably was bitten or scratched, it bled and formed a scab.

They are not "vaccinated" by osmosis. If they haven't had pox, or an actual innoculation, they are not at all immune.

If Fancy is losing feathers, and htere is a dandruffy look to it, it may just be a molt and the typical feather shafts, or it may be lice. If it is the lice, they are probably spreading the pox.

very good answers
As a purebred poultry keeper I always vaccinated every bird on the place at the middle of august in Iowa
thus the weather was warm at night for them to recover from the vaccine.
and that was about 6 weeks till show time.

YES SOUNDS LIKE FOWL POX AND IS THE TIME OF THE YEAR FOR IT TO GO AROUND
have you been to any fairs or chicken shows lately? This time of the year is when they will have it at shows.
Also when vaccinating DO NOT GO TO ANY OTHER PERSONS FARM OR ANY SHOWS FOR 30 DAYS. As you will carry the infection to them or the birds will give it to others at the shows.

IF YOU HAVE SEVERAL BIRDS GET THE CHICKEN FOWL POX VACCINE AND VACCINATE EVERY BIRD ON THE PLACE
IT WILL SAVE YOU A LOT OF HEAD ACHES. The other kinds of fowl pox are not for chickens.

DOCTOR THE BIRDS SPOTS WITH IODINE AND ALSO GIVE THE BIRDS SOME WET MASH PROBIOTICS

3 TBSP OF DRY CRUMBLE FEED
4 TBSP OF MILK
1 TBSP OF YOGUART
when mixed put tbsp of apple sauce on the wet mash
I would do this twice a day for two weeks

if it is fowl pox and you vaccinate DO NOT GIVE ANY ANTIBIOTICS TO THE BIRDS

as the vaccine needs to give the birds a small setting of the fowl pox to be innoculating the birds
vaccinate the chicks as well as the adults.every bird on the place.

email any questions

You guys are so awesome! I can't thank you enough! I am so grateful to have a place where I can go for answers when I am scared and uncertain. I will digest all this new info and come up with a new plan.

I was supposed to move the gals into their new pen this weekend. It should have been a joyous occasion. I guess I will vaccinate the heathy gals and move them on in and keep the others under quarentine in the pen in the barn, vaccinate them and move them to coop as the recover.

Honestly I don't know what I did with all my spare time before I had chickens. I spend all my spare time doctorin or buildin something to keep them in. I was looking forward to them starting to lay, you know, give a little something back. lol! This weekend I am building laying boxes. I do enjoy them. It's somehow satisfying to see them pecking around in the yard and I love when they follow me around!

Thanks again to all!
God bless
Laura

Quote:
I agree, makes no sense to me, but I have read on here of someone doing this to lessen the severity of the disease. Have no idea if there is any truth to that having any effectiveness. I did not and would not vaccinate, once the pox was present.

I also don't see how antibiotics would be a problem, since they do not kill viruses, and fowl pox is a virus. Not recommending an antibiotic, just saying. I did not use one and do not feel it would be indicated for fowl pox unless you get a chicken with lesions that have a pretty bad secondary infection; I have heard of chickens occasionally getting swelling of the head from dry pox lesions that were extensive and got infected.

Back
Top Bottom