HELP! Need some insight into this sudden chicken death

Sudden loss is hard, my condolences. I lost one about three weeks ago and I still haven't gotten over both the suddenness and sadness of it. I also keep reading trying to find a scientific answer. My hen was a black sex link not quite 2 years old, and had been happy and scratching in the yard an hour before we found her gone. I couldn't believe it. The most frequent response to my post was that it happens, and it might have been a heart attack. Sad, and I still miss her but also have two other chickens to care for. I'd like to prevent this sort of thing from happening again, so I think understanding is key.

Chickens are lower on the food chain. They often don't live long lives. I've had a few make it to 10 but most die at 4-6 years from various thing. Breeds like sex links are prone to reproductive cancers from my reading on them and they often die young. Mine both died by 2 years of age. It seems there's a price for all those eggs they produce.

I once watched what appeared to be a perfectly healthy young year old hen go from fine to dying over the course of an afternoon. I've found hens dead under the roosts when the day before they appeared fine.

Sometimes you don't get an answer of why. I prefer a quick death to a lingering illness. Enjoy them while they are here. Chickens live each day to the fullest.

All you can do is feed them correctly, let them exercise, and house them properly. The rest is mostly out of your hands.

I do have a broody australorp, no rooster though so she is just pitiful. For being hormonal, she is not cranky! Her current state is a cause of annoyance for a couple other girls, especially my queen of the coop white rock. Read to put her in a wire carrier with food and water, no bedding, covered top, and raised off the ground so her body temp cools down. Putting a hen in cold water sounds too jolting. I think my dog crate will fit through the run door, and that is secure. I don't think it will work in the coop because the coop is 8'by8' but the crate is standard poodle pup size. Have to check out measurements or ask if anyone has smaller crate. Sheesh! At least she is easier than a teenager!

Chickens are lower on the food chain. They often don't live long lives. I've had a few make it to 10 but most die at 4-6 years from various thing. Breeds like sex links are prone to reproductive cancers from my reading on them and they often die young. Mine both died by 2 years of age. It seems there's a price for all those eggs they produce.

I once watched what appeared to be a perfectly healthy young year old hen go from fine to dying over the course of an afternoon. I've found hens dead under the roosts when the day before they appeared fine.

Sometimes you don't get an answer of why. I prefer a quick death to a lingering illness. Enjoy them while they are here. Chickens live each day to the fullest.

All you can do is feed them correctly, let them exercise, and house them properly. The rest is mostly out of your hands.
Thank you, that's very helpful.

Linda - Thanks for replying. My girl was just a year - happy, good comb colors, etc. A terrible surprise! My other Australorp has been a broody mess for a week - all sad and sticking to everyone's favorite nest box. If it had been her, I would have been less surprised.
It seems that sudden death can be a heart attack or fatty liver disease! I have had chickens for a year now, and there is stuff like this that is uncharted territory for me. I felt I had neglected to see something.
Paulette

Paulette,
I so understand. Three weeks later and I still feel like I let my bird down and failed to see "something." I'm sure your girl had a fabulous year, you gave her love and treats! They don't ask for much, but they sure enrich our lives!
Hugs to you,
Linda

I have not seen anything. No nits, nothing zipping away, no dirt - yuck! Just feathers missing. One girl had poopy butt in febuary and I washed that off. She has had some more feather loss around the vent, and was sprayed. I have some other stuff coming and everyone will get sprayed. My girl that died did not have pale comb or wattle. I have always taken note of that since it seems to be an indicator of their general health. Especially in the winter - I watched those combs.
If it the comb does that a lot, that may be bad...

I am sorry for the loss. I too had 2 chicks die on me, and I am brand new to this chicken raising. But, really, there isn’t much we can do for these birds we so love. They live their lives unsuspecting, and humble, we all take them for granted. It is the worst feeling in the world to see a chicken prancing around all happy one day, and the next dead. I know. My 1 week old chick died a while back in my hands. Seeing the chick die was... heart wrenching, but those last breaths are what God intended to be.
“Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. And even the hairs of your head are all counted. So do not be afraid; you are of more value than many sparrows.” Matthew 10: 26-33. We must know we are more than the birds that amount in the sky and acknowledge it. Losing one is hard, seeing all the care and love you have put into it. Countless days and nights caring for them. But, it is what the Lord has decided to do. Because no body can guarantee a life, not one of a chick nor human, but losing a life doesn’t mean we should end ours. Meaning that we mustn’t stop being who we are, but to continue and grow from it. I am sorry for any loss of a chicken you may have today, tomorrow or in the years to come, but remember, we are worth more than the birds that flood the skies, because they know your value on this earth and hence they fear it and endow themselves on to you. We can’t guarantee life, but we can make the most of it.

I am sorry if any of this may have been out of your personal beliefs.

I'm very sorry for your loss :hugs:hugs
And i understand you. Some months ago i lost suddenly one of my 6 yy old Isa browns called Arancina.
i just went to open the coop and found her with some neurological symptoms struggling to breathe and with a super violet comb. I did what i could, i kept her warm but she died after few hours of a terrible agony.
I felt so bad, looking at her leaving this world, and even now,if i think to it, i feel again the panic i had.

So two month after that, i lost my young silkie rooster. My brother just went to let the girls out and found him dead.
we think he had some genetical disease cause he was always a very very strange behaviour (never crowed, never mated hens, and other like this) even if he was apparently healthy. It was a terrible repetition.

But, i think to the long reproductive issue that my chicken Panta had before to die, four weeks of pain, two of paralysis... her slowly fading away despite all my efforts and cares. And i think that it's so more painful and sad then a sudden death. I'm trying to be grateful for every day spent with my chickens.

Ok, i know, this wasn't a very cheerful message, but death is a part of owning animals and it's liberating to talk about is...isn't it?
It's only a little part of owning animals: there is an huge part of joy, fun, affection, that we can't renounce to. And i really wish that you in the future will enjoy so much of this to pacify your bad memories.

Hope it helps, and a truly big hug :hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs

Back
Top Bottom