Help...need to find a home for my packing peanuts!!! :)

How about the for sale section on BYC? Lower the price even more on Craigslist if it's been a week since you listed. I would never get a chicken from a chicken rescue. The one here won't let you butcher for meat, breed, or cull if they get too old. You have to agree to keep them as pets their whole lives.

Last edited:
They are probably leghorn roosters, they are a surplus that they often use for packing peanuts. Chicken rescues tend to be over run with roosters and may or may not be able to take them. They readily take hens. good luck!

Ok, this might make some chicken lovers mad, but try to find a falconer in your area. My son is a falconer and they use small birds (never song birds) for training or feeding in the off season. Sounds cruel, but we are all in the food chain somewhere. Just an idea if all else fails.

Quote:
I don't have a chicken rescue, but all of my birds will live out their natural lives in my care and retire and not worry about going into the stewpot after they stop laying. What kind of chicken momma would I be if I ate them.

Quote:
I don't have a chicken rescue, but all of my birds will live out their natural lives in my care and retire and not worry about going into the stewpot after they stop laying. What kind of chicken momma would I be if I ate them.

a farmin' kind? lol. I know what you mean though. I couldn't do it either. (but i bet you and I both could if we were starving!!) I admire ppl who are able to farm and raise their own food (meat included!) And don't worry...I don't think that chickens worry.

I would try to give them away, anyway you can and not think about their fate.

I saw a show on the egg industry where they were sexing chicks in a production line style sorting, you would faint if I told you what they did with the roosters.

Back
Top Bottom