Help! Need to know now!

Hennyhandler

SilkieJax
10 Years
Jun 10, 2009
Cullman
I just went outside to see my baby chicks. It's HOT outside and it's in the middle of the day so it's even worse but anyway i was rubbing them when i realized that in the area of their crops is really soft like a thin jelly or liquid. I know that after they eat the crop usually gets big and kind of hard but i've never seen this with the other set of chicks i raised. I don't know why but if anyone knows PLEASE let me know. I'm really worried and since i'm new to this it makes me worry more.

When i went in there their waterer accidentally got full of litter so i don't know. Could this be like sour crop? I REALLY hope not because i don't know how to do fix it well enough. Please could you tell me some really good symptoms of sour crop because all the ones o found weren't good. How did you fix it if you had it?

I don't know all the symptoms of sour croup, but they normally look off and as if they don't feel well if they have it. Olive oil is often given to help loosen what ever would be inside, compacted. Yours sounds more like they drank a lot of water because of the heat. What does their droppings look like?

I also think they're drinking more (when they have food in their crop, or not). Just go out in the evening when it's cool, and again first thing in the morning and check their crops then. They should be back to normal.

If the birds are more lethargic than heat causes or if their throast/crops start to smell bad, they then have sour crop.

In the summer, if you want, you can use 1 ounce of organic apple cider vinegar in the water as an electrolyte. It'll also be great for their guts and crops and make sour crop less likely. Maybe if they're drinking a lot, like they are, I'd say 1/2 ounce to a gallon.

Organic is not for the philosophy of organics, but because organic is made bacterially, not chemically, and still contains the nutrients and bacteria that result that process. (That's the gunk in the bottom, the "mother" of the vinegar - the best part - shake gently before pouring out your dose to make sure you get some of that in their waterer.)

Edit: By the way, adding ACV like that won't overdose them with minerals like using a prepared electrolyte can sometimes in the summer when they drink alot. If you use prepared electrolyte, use at one fourth of the dosage.

Last edited:
Sorry ya'll. I've been thinking and though the waterer was filled with litter i changed it out. I can't exactly remember if i checked them immediately after or not but i'm thinking that ya'll were right and that they gulped down a ton of water because they've been without. THANK YOU SO MUCH! i'm feeling sooo much better!!

Quote:
No problem.
smile.png
Sometimes we all need a little bit of help seeing the bigger picture when something worrying happens. I sure do!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom